Is this the beginning of a problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poormanfarm

Reaction score
I have several carboy of Muscadine wine that I look at every day. This wine was fermented in late sept and first of october. Two of the carboys have cleared and look beautiful. I have several carboys that I am noticing little flecks of yeast particles hanging to the sides and to the top of the carboy. I can thump the outside of the carboy gently with my finger and most of them turn loose and fall to the bottom. I was very careful to clean and sterilze before I racked into the carboys. I don't know if this is the beginning of a problem or not but I just can't remember seeing this before. Anyone see this happen before? Thanks for your help.

Sounds like sediment to me just clinging to the sides. This is normal on the Italian carboys. Just give them a quick twist and that should knock it off so it falls to the bottom with the rest of it.

It could also be tartaric acid crystals forming. They do the same sometimes when just beginning to precipitate. Not a thing to worry about.

Latest posts

Back