Is bottling necessary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you were having a party to drink it ALL... that would work.
Otherwise, as the level goes down and air gets in the carboy... it would oxidize the wine and the end of the carboy wouldn't taste as good.

Debbie

Agree with above post completely. You can rack down to some 1 gallon jugs and drink them like that so that each one will be topped up properly while one is being drunk.

Dan likes to cop a feel of anything, good thing hes only the other side of our computers, perv!

Duhhh go back and look. I was the one that stood up for you saying you were on your droid.

toonspelling.jpg

Hey guys you have forgotten the most important answer and that is he can invite us all over then he won't have to worry about leaving it in his carboys or Dan feeling it up

Can the wine be just kept in a carboy? Why?

To beat the oxidation problem, the box wine concept would work. If someone would develop a 5 or 6 gallon bag and container for home wine makers. The bag colapses as the wine is dispensed resulting in no air contact. I usually have a box of Burgandy on the counter for cooking (and the cook) and it stays fresh for a long time.

Can the wine be just kept in a carboy? Why?

I have been known to "bottle" various amounts back into the juice bag that came with my kits, I love the convenience of being able to grab just a glass without opening a bottle.

(welcome fellow BC'er btw)

I did my first bottling last week. It was skeeter pee that had been 5 gallons total, 3 in 1 carboy 2 gallons in jugs. Used more bottles than I had anticipated so I didn't bottle one gallon. I've got a camping/fishing trip coming up in a few weeks, considering just bringing the gallon.

BTW, popped my first cork last night and it was GREAT. Even my wife who is not a big fan had 3 glasses.

Latest posts

Back