Mead intrigued

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie Mel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not made mead yet, but I am intrigued, especially Metheglin (thank you @Raptor99 for the suggestion). I have been looking at many different recipes and have some questions about the process and if it is different that typical wine process.

Seems like what I have read it is suggested to put an airlock on Mead while in primary fermentation. Is that correct? So don’t cover with towel and wait until transfer to secondary for the airlock?

Is it necessary to use sulfites with Mead? Some say not necessary because honey is aseptic and water content too low for microorganisms to develop and sulfites can be detrimental to mead. Thoughts?

What is the difference between Fermaid (K or O) and something just labeled yeast nutrient?

Any other suggestions for a first time mead maker? Thank you!

Yeast nutrient is chemical nitrogen. If you use chemical nitrogen you should consider feeding every day. Yeast go bonkers on it. Fermaid O is organic nitrogen yeast have to work a bit to use it so it gives a flatter growth curve, and K is a blend.

Air is needed for yeast cell replication. ie when reproduction is done you can exclude it with an airlock. Some recipes will have you mix in some air in the first third of sugar consumption.

Sulphites function for oxidation control as well as microbial. I can see the argument for not worrying in the must but eventually you will be concerned about acetaldehyde.

Seems like what I have read it is suggested to put an airlock on Mead while in primary fermentation. Is that correct? So don’t cover with towel and wait until transfer to secondary for the airlock?
Nope, as David said, yeast need O2 for reproduction. Mead is a wine, so the basic process is the same as any other wine. You can ferment in a closed container, but it's a harsher environment for the yeast to survive in.

Is it necessary to use sulfites with Mead? Some say not necessary because honey is aseptic and water content too low for microorganisms to develop and sulfites can be detrimental to mead. Thoughts?
Honey has the properties you mentioned, but once you've diluted it enough for yeast to eat it, it's not the same. Sulfite is an anti-oxidant as well as anti-microbial, so I'd not make mead without it.

Latest posts

Back