Back sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After fermentation is complete, is it necessary to back sweeten at first racking or can that take place one to three months down the road.

After the first racking, your wine is still young and changing. I don't backsweeten until nearly time to bottle, when the wine has had time to start to become what it might be. That and there is still lots of "stuff" (ie dead?? yeast) floating around in that not clear wine. I wait to add any potassium sorbate until the wine is clear. This isn't the process wine kits have you go thru, they say to add the clearing agents and any backsweetening very soon after fermentation. I like to wait. There is no rush to get that step done.

After the first racking, your wine is still young and changing. I don't backsweeten until nearly time to bottle, when the wine has had time to start to become what it might be. That and there is still lots of "stuff" (ie dead?? yeast) floating around in that not clear wine. I wait to add any potassium sorbate until the wine is clear. This isn't the process wine kits have you go thru, they say to add the clearing agents and any backsweetening very soon after fermentation. I like to wait. There is no rush to get that step done.
Thanks. Good advice

Latest posts

Back