Mosti Mondiale I'm excited!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JWMINNESOTA said:
I don't know how you can contain your excitement so well Joan, I would be bouncing off the walls.
smiley36.gif

What do you think caused the quake in CA?
smiley36.gif

dfwwino said:
Ahem... Do we allow wine conjugal visits during shipments? Seems like a matter for the Court of Inquisition. We may need to confiscate the wine.

Hmm I hadn't thought about conjugation laws. I'll check to see if my two are fully dressed and there's been no tampering with their seals when they arrive tomorrow! You can be sure I will be reprimanding them many months from now if otherwise!

laneygirl said:
appleman said:
That's great news Joan! What day do you expect them? My Amarone shipped today also! It says 53 pounds. I must need an extra pound of peanuts to get the extra 150 -200 miles!

Hi Appleman,

How far are you shipping them from Texas? I've wondered if they'd stay frozen all the way to Idaho. I'm very interested in one of the MM kits and trying to figure out which one to save up for.

Thanks.

I know this was meant for appleman but I asked George that question and he said Fedex can ship to anywhere in the continental US in 4 days so we're good to go!
Edited by: Joan

laneygirl, Joan and I are four days ship time from Texas. These buckets of must are fresh frozen, not concentrated or processed juices. George offers the all-juice pails that make an excellent wine also. Those are available all the time. The fresh ones have had yeast added already and need to be kept cold so they don't ferment in shipment too badly. You could start with a regular all-juice MM this year and if this experiment works out alright, these we are getting are available only once a year.

The Fresco from Italy and California is available once per year in October. However, George also sells MM Fresco from Chile in the Spring (I believe March/April). So in addition to trying a sterile alljuice, you could order a Fresco from Chile in a few months if this experiment proves successful. If you're in DFW, you can get the fresco regardless of the success of this experiment in shipping frozen fresco. Edited by: dfwwino

I missed out on this offering but I'm really interested to know what people think of the quality of these compared to the upper end kits. I don't understand why the freezing doesn't kill the yeast it's innoculated with. I'm hoping to try one of the Chile offerings in the spring. We're a rural area and Fedex is notorious for "putting off" delivery a day or two (they document it as "customer not available"--which is wrong. We get better service from UPS here.

Yeast are very hearty, just like you buy it in the store freeze / dried, they are suspended and not active. Moisture and temperature enable them to become active.

JW I am not sure of that. They aren't exactly freeze dried because they have been added to the must already so they were rehydrated and when George got them they had started to ferment slightly already. They may start up once the temps come up and they may not- time will tell. I am hopeful they will start up for others, but then if they don't I can add the type of yeast I want so I don't really care that much personally.

Appleman and Joan,

Thanks for the info on shipment time and also the clarification on availability of the Fresca kits along with differences between them and the other MM kits.

I'll stay posted for the spring offering and try one of the All Juice kits in the near future. What has been your favorite to make of the reds? And if you've made a white, do you have a recommendation there too?

Laneygirl, I have never made a MM. I thought I'd go for broke the first time out!
smiley4.gif
I'm just going on the theory that if the all juice kits are as good as people say, theses should be good as well.

It's in Syracuse, NY now. It will normally ship from there about 11:00-2:00 and be here in the morning about 10:30
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif
The countdown begins: 10,9,8,7,6...............

I just brought my Zinfandel in from the front porch. I'm in the St. Louis area so it was only 2 days ship time. We had temperatures in the low 60's today and it sat out there for about 6 hours, so I was a little worried it might have warmed it up a bit. I just unpacked it and it is still a frozen slush. Hope everyone else's does as well during transit.

MattEdited by: MLawrence

We're getting down to the wire, now!! I'm sooo excited!! I'll be seeing the "Out for Delivery" tomorrow morning!!

So...are you staying home tomorrow???? Take photos as you have us all chewing our nails waiting.....

Up here we could have it delivered in the winter...It would for sure be still frozen.

FedEx use to be horrible up here....Tuesdays and Thursday one week and Monday/Wednesday/Friday the next week. Now they can get stuff here overnight from M/StPaul...it might come in a rental van, but it gets here.

Our local airport put in a longer runway sosmall jets can make it up here now.

We have another carrier around called 'Speedy'...they really suck...sometimes they'll borrow tools to work on their trucks.

Waiting anxiously to see your score.

I have all of George's toys delivered to me at work and the Fedex guy arrives about the time I go home. Now how's that for timing???
smiley2.gif

I got the frozen Barolo last night - 2 days. It was packed well, but George had warned me - so I unpacked the juice at the edge of my garage. It was a good thing they packed it in a plastic garbage bag. The box was dry, but when I placed the juice pale in the bag on the concrete - a red puddle started for form. I quickly unwrapped it and pulled the bucket out, then tried to pour the juice in the bag into a bowl. The bucket was intact so I washed it an brought it to the basement. There was no ice, but it was 34F. This morning it was 64F and I think it was starting to ferment. Looks good - I just have to get me a smaller carboy sometime to account for the lost juice.

So, If you get one of these - I would suggest unwrapping it carefully!

I also just got mine and opened up. There was juice in the bag, and a little on the floor where they set it in the garage also through the box. Handle Carefully when opening. I will take pictures later and see how much is there later as well as check the temp and SG. It smell good from what I can tell so far.

I have the Amarone in a fermenting bucket at 32 degrees. The Pino Grigio was damaged somewhere between here and Syracuse and they sent it back.
smiley19.gif

I read in the other forum that another customer of George's lost his Cabernet Sauvignon when it fell off the back of the delivery truck. It is plainly a time for mourning...
smiley11.gif

Back