I have a few questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subnate

Junior
Reaction score
O.K I just racked my gallon of apple wine, the problem is I don't have anything to top it off with, it looks pretty clear but I was going to let it set for a while longer, or should I just bottle it, it still is slowly bubbling, I should check the SG, my other question is my kit wine, I'm doing a peach chardonnay, and it says the sg should be at .998 at 14 days, but its not there it reached 1.0 then stopped, should I rack it into the secondary or wait. The sg hasn't moved in 5 days? Any help would be great. OH I forgot to say the sg on the apple wine is .994.

Last edited:
These mist kits usually stop right about there so Id proceed to the next step. As for your apple wine Id get some Riesling or some other white wine and use that to top it up. If this win e is still fermenting then just leave it for now.

Last edited:
If it has been stabilized - you might be able to top off with apple juice - if isn't that much.

I have done this with my apple when i needed to top off just a little bit.

O.K I just racked my gallon of apple wine, the problem is I don't have anything to top it off with, it looks pretty clear but I was going to let it set for a while longer, or should I just bottle it, it still is slowly bubbling,
If the s.g. is .994, it's about finished but let it continue until it stops bubbling. As long as it's bubbling it's putting out CO2 which protects it from off flavors or spoilage. Afterward, you need to rack the wine off the pulp, degas it well by stirring vigorously or shaking it (shaking in the case of a 1 gal. jug), and let it clear before bottling. This will take several months and several rackings.
As far as topping up your jug, some people use marbles to displace the airspace. Either sulfite or boil them to sterilize them before adding. The main enemy of wine after fermentation is oxygen. Keep it topped up and rack quickly.

The peach chardonnay has finished fermenting and you should follow the same procedures as above. Follow the kit maker's instructions.

Fred

found some apple wine

Well just went to my local wine store and found some apple wine so I'm going to use that to top it off, I tasted it today and its tasting pretty good, but I will use the marble idea for my pomegranate wine, because I don't think I will find any wine to top that off with. And I will continue with my peach chardonnay tomorrow. Thanks for the replies.

Latest posts

Back