WineXpert How much will temp fluctuation affect fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
I am making a WE Sonoma Dry Creek chardonnay, which I understand does very nicely when fermented at cooler temperatures. Since it is very hot here and my house stays around 78º I had to manufacture a swamp cooler using a very large cooler bag to set the primary in. Lined the cooler with 6 frozen bottles or bags of water and covered it with another bag cooler. I change out the bottles of frozen water and ziplocs 2-3 times a day. The average temp I am getting is about 63º, however it has gotten as high as 70º and this morning it was 58º.
The fermentation has been pretty steady all along with no noticeable changes in speed. (fast or slow). It's at 1.022 this morning. I am hoping to see 1.01 tomorrow at which time I am going to have to rack to secondary. I will be leaving for a few days and no longer able to feed the ice. Therefore it will have to finish fermentation at room temp. I can place the secondary carboy in a small bathroom that is right under the AC int he attic so it says pretty cool compared to the rest of the house. Probably about 75º

So my question is; will these temperature changes affect the wine in a adverse way? please tell me I haven't ruined it.

Last edited:
Getting into the 80's is not recommended. You are fine. I try to ferment in the 65-75 range. The cooler the better but I doubt the average person would notice a difference in taste.

I'm sure your wine will be fine.

Thanks Steve. I wan't sure how much is too much fluctuation. I just measured the temp in the hall bathroom with the door closed for 2 hours and it was 72.4º. that sounds like a good place to start fermenting from now on. The rest of the house is 78.
Maybe I'll even start sleeping in the bathtub in there. Nice and cool. :sm

Latest posts

Back