How much is too much

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
For the secondary fermentor, how much space do you want in the top of the carboy, 1", 2" ,4"? bk

I would say it depends on what you sg was when you transfered. Like JT says 1 1/2" if the wine is nearly dry. If it is 1.01 or higher I would not be as concerned with a carboy 3/4 full as its still giving off gas which will protect your wine.

High enough so you can put the hydrometer in to take a reading and be able to pull it out.

If its fermenting, it is giving off CO2 which protects it - But, if its finished and 12%+ alcohol, then surely that protects it - so what exactly are we protecting against by topping up to within an inch?

Yes, the alcohol will help protect it against some nasties but not against oxidation - that's why it's important to top up reduce exposure to air after fermentation is complete and no longer producing the protective CO2. Think of an apple - cut off a slice and it's nice and white, leave it for awhile exposed to air and it turns brown and loses its freshness - same thing with wine.

Plus the alcohol content is rather low, for it to act as a preservative.

I agree that it really depends on what gravity it is but what really matters above that is how violent it is. Ive seen wine at 1.020 going very slow and Ive seen it be still very violent so just make sure you have enough room in there for the activity of the wine and even then it can be tricky. I say that because just the act of racking it and getting 02 to yor wine can make a gentle fermentation more active again.

I've been following the "three finger" rule I was told to use. The air space should be three fingers wide from the bottom of the stopper (bung the breather seats into) to the wine.

Also, so long as the wine fermented well in the primary (warm enough temps and such) you shouldn't have to worry about any foaming or anything in the carboy from what I hear. That might depend on the yeast I guess, though. We used champagne yeast which doesn't foam as much as some others.

Critter, once again it depends on your gravity reading. You never make mention of this. Do you own a hydrometer? Steve has posted directions on reading one in our tutorials if it's brand new and you need some assistance.

Back