How do you clean your wine thief?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

botigol

Beer, mead and wine...oh my! :0)
Reaction score
Hi everybody!

For the few months since I started making wine I have pretty much cleaned the inside of my hydrometer by adding soapy (Seventh Generation Biodegradable) water and swishing it back and forth, then rinsing of course. I read an article about biofilm build up in carboys and started thinking, "Couldn't this happen in my hydrometer as well?" So I have recently been dousing my hydrometer with k-meta solution after washing and letting it drip dry. Then I tought that even if I have killed all the little beasties there could be a film on the inside that could affect my readings or possibly affect my wines in some way. Am I just being paranoid at this point? How do you clean the inside of your hydrometer?

Thanks!

Botigol, I do not understand what you mean about cleaning the inside of a hydrometer. Before and after I use my hydrometer, I spray the outside with k-meta solution, rinse it and dry it with a paper towel.

I am not sure what type of hydrometer you have but mine is sealed and I can't clean the inside, just the outside, soap and water and sanitize right before using

I'm not clear on what you mean by the inside of your hydrometer because all hydrometers I've ever seen for wine are sealed.. Are you referring to the vial or case? I clean mine with Easy Clean, like most everything else.

Also, in terms of sanitizing, wetting with k-meta and drip drying may not be effective. K-meta sanitizes by creating SO2 which needs about 6 minutes to be effective. The way I envision what you're saying, the SO2 vapor would dissipate - better off using Star San or leaving the hydrometer in a bucket with a cup of k-meta solution.

In terms of being paranoid, I'd say no. Mistakes in cleaning and sanitizing is blamed for 90% of fermentation errors. Having said that, a hydrometer cleans quickly and isn't a big concern to me. I focus more on things like tubes.

I just rinse in cool water (hot or very cold will break it) and sanitize by floating in Iodorphor. I don't use k-meta because of breathing problems.

When making wine, I usually have a large jug of cleaning solution with a cleaning cloth sitting on the counter. Anything dirty gets cleaned with that. Small, not easily broken items get tossed in it (bungs, air locks). Other items get cleaner poured into them, or washed with the cloth. BTW, in this case, "dirty" means "I just used it", or "I haven't used this lately".

Rinse your hydrometer with warm, NOT HOT water, and dry with a towel. Put away safely. Sanitize with iodophor (Sammy is 100% right), or K-meta when ready to use.

Rocky...K-meta is not a cleaner. Paper towels are good for drying, but I have a good supply of small soft towels that I prefer to use.

Julie...I hope not soap.

BTW, my comments to Rocky & Julie are not meant as disagreement with their winemaking habits, but rather their choice of words. Beginners read these threads, and I want to ensure that they get the right message.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

Why not soap and rinse?

Soap flavored wine tastes like crap!

Rinsing regular soap still leaves some behind, now, if you are talking a dedicated wine or beer making soap, then no problems.

Sorry, wrong term...should have written wine thief.

Oh, wine thief. That makes much more sense! :D I have the plastic kind and simply rinse thoroughly with the hottest water my tap will produce and drip dry - often on the bottle tree. Just before use, I give it a Meta spritz.

Why not soap and rinse?
First, "soap" means different things to different people. To me, it means a bar of hand soap. Some of which contain skin softeners and fragrances. IMO, that is definitely a poor choice for winemaking.

But soap means something else to other people. I think most people would probably think of dish washing soap in these circumstances. Again some contain "stuff" that I don't think should get involved with wine making.

What did you mean by soap?

Funny, it's one of those things that I was taught back in 1999 when I started making wine. Never questioned it too closely.

Steve

B-brite and One Step vs. Dawn dish soap. I understand exactly what your saying.

Bubbles.gif

As usual, everyone was most helpful! Thanks for taking the time, despite the wild goose chase...where's an ashamed smiley when I need one?

I rinse well with warm water. Shake the excess out and let it drip dry standing upright in a 100ml graduated cylinder. Before each use it gets a good spray with Kmeta on the inside and outside and then a good hard shake and a little wipe off with a paper towel.

After so many rinsings with the hot water, seems like it gets a big grungy. Then into a solution of oxyclean it goes. Let it sit there the the hot water starts cooling down and the bubbling quits. Back to rinsing with hot water. Seems to keep it clean for a while, then have to oxyclean it again. Oh and spritz with k=meta before using. Arne.

why is it so important to dry the HYDROMETER? I use one step then rinse before and after use. I don't dry. Is there something wrong with that procedure?

Back