Hello from Toronto!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Chris and I've just started my first batch.

First some background. When I was in my early 20's, I tried to make wine from crushed table grapes and baker's yeast. I knew nothing and didn't get what I was doing wrong so I lost interest.

Last year, I lived in the Niagara region. Within a mile from my house there were plenty of orchards and vineyards. I also had a grape vine growing in the garden when I moved there. I cared for it for the 8 months I lived there, with the intent to make wine from the green grapes growing everywhere. My interest was revived.

After moving twice and starting a new job, things have settled down to where I can start a hobby again. I saw a few wine kits at my local grocery store, and thought, "Wine kit? wow, now's my chance!"

Cabernet Sauvignon is my favorite wine, so that's what I decided to start with. The brand of the kit is "Wine Maker's Choice". I bought the equipment from a local shop.
DSCF0454-a.jpg

I started Saturday evening, so as of now its only been 1.5 days. No activity in the airlock of course, but I keep checking anyway haha!

Thanks for reading my intro. Now its time for me to do some more reading here.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard!

Use this first kit to get a feel for the process. You should be seeing signs of fermentation by now. Make sure the must is warmed up to 70-74 degrees to start with.

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum. Lot's of good information here. Please use it. Just out of curiosity, you are using the bucket for your primary fermentation, aren't you? You should be. You mentioned airlock which peaked my concern. If it's in the bucket with an airlock, don't snap the lid down tight. If you have it in the carboy, it'll have a hard time fermenting. You really need to provide plenty of oxygen during this phase. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum
I am glad you mention the air lock and bucket Flem I was thinking the same thing if you think you are having any trouble just get on this forum and post your question and someone on here will be willing to help you thats how a lot of us got started

Yes, I'm using the bucket. There's about 1" of air inside, and I have it sealed pretty well. Should I open it up from time to time to let some fresh air in? I'm afraid of it getting contaminated. Here's how it looked before I put it in the closet.
DSCF0472-a.jpg

It won't get contaminated at this point - the CO2 produced from the fermentation will protect it. But without O2 the yeast can struggle.

I would just take the lid off and put a towel over it.

Thanks! I opened it up and gave it a good stir. Smells good already! I also took a SG reading, from 1.09 when I started to 1.08 after almost 2 days.

Cabernut - welcome and it looks like you have a good start at things!! Keep us posted.

Welcome to a great forum. Lots of great people and information here. If you have questions just ask away.. always someone to help you out.

things have settled down to where I can start a hobby again

I used to think that way, now my garage, coat closet, hall closet and bedroom seem to have been taken over by carboys. :br

Welcome aboard Chris, the folks here will defiantly do are part in fueling your rekindled addiction :i

Latest posts

Back