Hello from Newfoundland!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey b'ys, what're ya at!?

I've been surfing this forum for well over a year. I've been inspired by members to not only start brewing my own wine (and other things), but to also attempt growing some wine grapes in Newfoundland of all places!
As of now I'm growing L'Acadie Blanc, a white hybrid grape developed in Canada, that's mainly grown in Nova Scotia. This will be my second summer with her. I also have another white hybrid, New York Muscat, and the vinifera Siegerrebe on the way this spring. I'm debating adding a red hybrid, either Leon Millot or Marechal Foch to my lineup.

This place has been a great resource, and I'm sure I will continue to learn (and grow) with you all.

- Stevie

welcome to WMT from “last year this was the frozen north why is it 10C?“

In 2019 the Winemaker Magazine Conference was at Traverse Bay in Michigan. This is right along Lake Michigan. I was amazed that vinifera was being grown that far north. They however had a few tricks like plowing snow over the vines along with training close to the ground, or pulling the vines off the wires and burying them.
Have fun with the project!

Welcome aboard. If you’re already growing grapes you got the winemaking bug bad. 🙂
Ooooh, yes you are very right! I have a some what green thumb, a thirsty spirit, and an empty wallet... ;)
welcome to WMT from “last year this was the frozen north why is it 10C?“

In 2019 the Winemaker Magazine Conference was at Traverse Bay in Michigan. This is right along Lake Michigan. I was amazed that vinifera was being grown that far north. They however had a few tricks like plowing snow over the vines along with training close to the ground, or pulling the vines off the wires and burying them.
Have fun with the project!
Wild isn't it? I was always amazed Nova Scotia, Quebec, PEI, and New Brunswick were growing wine grapes. I've been so amazed by reading about French-American hybrids, New York, the Minnesota Hybrids (Swenson), work done in Germany with the vinifera crosses, and now the PIWI.

However, it was reading about Canada producing the L'Acadie Blanc hybrid, and how she changed Nova Scotia that got me thinking... "maybe I can grow a few vines here in Newfoundland!?" This might go tits up yet, seeing we have a lot of rain, drizzle, fog, and humidity. I will try a couple hybrids, but since I'm bold and stupid, I decided to try a vinifera, Siegerrebe.

Stay tuned!
- Stevie

This might go tits up yet, seeing we have a lot of rain, drizzle, fog, and humidity. I will try a couple hybrids, but since I'm bold and stupid, I decided to try a vinifera,
The vinifera genetics does not like humidity, American genetics tolerates humidity and fungal growth better.

Using current tools you have to spray when you live with fog or humidity. Finding a supplier of Mancozeb changed my ability to grow Minnesota hybrids. ,,, I like vinifera flavor more, the hybrids seem to have a characteristic flavor.

The vinifera genetics does not like humidity, American genetics tolerates humidity and fungal growth better.

Using current tools you have to spray when you live with fog or humidity. Finding a supplier of Mancozeb changed my ability to grow Minnesota hybrids. ,,, I like vinifera flavor more, the hybrids seem to have a characteristic flavor.
Honestly, I wasn't even going to add the couple siegerrebe (vinifera), but I've read they're not an early bud break and can ripen in shorter growing seasons (sounds intriguing!) - so I thought it could be a neat project or a sad experiment... I will look into mancozeb etc (thanks!). I want to learn more about canopy management, promoting airflow and sunlight also to combat mildews.
The L'Acadie Blanc (hybrid white) seems to do good in maritime climate as does the New York Muscat (white hybrid), so hopefully they'll work.

That being said I'm going to focus most of my growing energy on BERRIES seeing they do great in my climate. I have black currant "Ben Sarek" growing, and I've been informed to look into raspberry. Newfoundland is known for its wild blueberries, so stay tuned ;)

Latest posts

Back