Haskap Recipes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was gifted 3.5 lbs of fresh picked haskaps today with the sole intent of making wine. They are a hearty berry, but I feel I am a little light were I to have a choice of what I was gifted I would take more. ;)

I did find this recipe on WMT.

Haskap1.jpg
I have about a kg and a half so I am over the needs to reduce this recipe, just wondering if anyone has suggestions, or a tried and true recipe.

Thanks!

I have had three types of haskap wine 1) made with four pounds per gallon yielding a finished TA of 0.83% that got back sweetened to 1.011, 2) made with commercial haskap purée and limited water which yielded a TA of 1.29% that was back sweetened to 1.051 to balance the acid, 3) haskap blended with other to drop the TA to 0.55% and then back sweetened to 0.995. Of these my favorite was 100% haskap purée that got heavily back sweetened.

Looking at the fruit, it is a high acid and will be extended/ blend well, with a lower pH fruit as plum or mulberry to fight the acid. You are forced into running 3.5 pounds per gallon. As a style I would be blending with a white juice like grape to create a four liter primary that has a high TA and then heavily back sweeten the finished wine. As a style if needing to have five gallons I would definitely skip water and fill the carboy with a white juice as apple or grape. ,,, When can we taste it?

Last edited:
I have had three types of haskap wine 1) made with four pounds per gallon yielding a finished TA of 0.83% that got back sweetened to 1.011, 2) made with commercial haskap purée and limited water which yielded a TA of 1.29% that was back sweetened to 1.051 to balance the acid, 3) haskap blended with other to drop the TA to 0.55% and then back sweetened to 0.995. Of these my favorite was 100% haskap purée that got heavily back sweetened.

Looking at the fruit, it is a high acid and will be extended/ blend well, with a lower pH fruit as plum or mulberry to fight the acid. You are forced into running 3.5 pounds per gallon. As a style I would be blending with a white juice like grape to create a four liter primary that has a high TA and then heavily back sweeten the finished wine. As a style if needing to have five gallons I would definitely skip water and fill the carboy with a white juice as apple or grape. ,,, When can we taste it?
We are definitely on the same page. I tasted a berry last night and they are tart. My pickers told me they are a funny berry. If you wait for them to sweeten they just fall off the plant and rot or the birds get them. These would be on the tart side of ripe.

I was thinking of using a juice to make a fuller wine, but also to try to balance the acid. Possibly back sweetening with juice as well, and oaking. I am not a sweet wine drinker so the skill will be in finding balance over notable sweetness.

I have them in the freezer currently and plan to leave them on pectic enzyme overnight once thawed, then make the must. The only thought that comes to mind is the note of plum and mulberry and then using white juice. More neutral flavor allowing the haskap to stand out vs a dark juice creating more of a blend?

* Aurora has an unusually long ripening schedule, this pushes toward collecting then freezing.
I am tossing this out for future haskap growers. (honey berry) week one June; this is my first crop, ,,, when do you’all decide to pick? I am on the learning curve
View attachment 102049
Aurora: pH 2.96; TA 2.8%; 1.047; average 1.25gm/ 2.8cm per berry; smells like red raspberry; fruity taste; intense red color; fairly easy to press juice
HoneyBee: pH 2.83; TA 3.69%; SG sample too small; average 0.37gm/ 1.9cm per berry; smells like red raspberry; light astringent (tannic) taste, fruity, with unusual flavor ?cat pee?; intense staining red color; fairly easy to press; small seeds like raspberry or gooseberry

2022 crop from a WisVinter member: pH 2.99; TA 2.8%; 1.042; unknown variety
Since the above i have continued to pick, may have two berries left three weeks out. As a small grower I see that the greenish berries turn darker purple sitting at room temp in the kitchen. When I get enough I will test but the look is they continue to sweeten/ decrease acid like a peach or banana will.
My first year crop of Borealis was two berries, pH of 3.00, a weight of 0.43gm, and it tasted sweeter than the other varieties.

As a fruit I like it. As an easy crop staggered picking is a bear.

Last edited:
Yesterday I turned 43. I invited the neighbors over for ham and scalloped potatoes. They gave me 5 pounds of haskaps all wrapped up in nice pretty paper. 😂 That gives me a total of 8.7 lbs because I didn't have any available vessels to transfer to, so I couldn't start the original batch. My inability to stop making wine and creating a backlog seems to be improving my wine! At least I assume it will with better concentrations.

I'll have to defrost and check PH. I think I want to use oak chips for sacrificial tannin so a trip to town is required. So much to do.... Something is getting bottled whether it's ready or not!

Now the big question. Ultrasonic extraction? I'll have nothing to compare it to as I'm not splitting the batch. 🤔

Back