WineXpert 1st rack too early? Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIACS

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first time making wine so naturally I'm probably being over cautious. I bought one of the 8L Winexpert kits. Started fermentation last Friday. It came with Oak chips and granular oak, no skins but I stirred it 2x a day for the first 5-6 days. Fermentation was going great. Yesterday and today there was only a slight foam on top so I took a hydrometer reading. It's at about .996 now. The directions say to leave it in primary fermenter for 14 days before racking and adding the stabilizer. My question is if its damaging to leave it in the primary with a lose lid for another 7 days or rack now with a tight airlock? I didn't know if the kits can be 'results may vary' in the time laid out by the instructions.

Kit instructions are written to help beginners be successful, even if they don't have a hydrometer.

Since you do have one and are able to tell that fermentation is pretty much complete, you can go ahead and rack to a carboy with an airlock. It might still have a few more points to drop, so you could wait if you want. It should finish under airlock, too, if there's more fermenting to be done.

For a red wine, the tannins will protect against oxidation more, and the wine will be offgassing for a while yet, which also protects against oxidation. So it shouldn't be a problem if you do want it give it a few more days before racking.

If it were me, I would do it when convenient for whatever else I have going on. 😁 (But not too much longer than the full 14 days from start, given that at .996 it's should be almost done anyway.)

Just a note about stabilizing ... if the stabilizer includes separate packets of potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite, and if you do NOT plan to backsweeten, you do not need to add the sorbate. However, if it's just one stabilizer packet, for sure use it. You DO want the potassium metabisulphite (kmeta) no matter what, as that protects against oxidation. The sorbate is only required if you add sugar for backsweetening - it acts as birth control to prevent any remaining yeast from multiplying again and restarting fermention!

Just a note about stabilizing ... if the stabilizer includes separate packets of potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite, and if you do NOT plan to backsweeten, you do not need to add the sorbate. However, if it's just one stabilizer packet, for sure use it. You DO want the potassium metabisulphite (kmeta) no matter what, as that protects against oxidation. The sorbate is only required if you add sugar for backsweetening - it acts as birth control to prevent any remaining yeast from multiplying again and restarting fermention!
I agree with Joni.

How long do you intend to bulk age? A 8 liter WE kit is probably a 28 day kit, so they'll tell you to ferment for 14 days, rack it adding the stabilizer pack and fining agents, and rack/bottle 14 days later. If you do this, following kit instructions and adding the stabilizer pack is fine.

However, most of us will recommend bulk aging longer. In this case, get a package of K-meta. Add 1/4 tsp per 19-23 liters of wine at the first post-fermentation racking, every 3 months during bulk aging, and at bottling time. With an SG of 0.996 and a longer bulk aging interval, you definitely do not need the stabilizer packet, just K-meta.

Kit vendors add the stabilizing pack (potassium sorbate + K-meta) as a fail-safe to avoid ~30 mini-volcanoes which can occur when the budding winemaker bottles the wine before fermentation in 100% complete.

My thoughts , if you have any doubts about what to do , just follow the directions and all will be well.
It’s that simple 🍷

Thank you all for your responses. I don't want to deviate from the directions. I was concerned that maybe the yeast finished faster but now that I look, I can see it is still active from what I saw this morning. Future processes will probably be bulk aged longer, I just don't see us waiting very long on this one after day 30 :)

Kit wine instructions are for beginners who have no experienced help. Most wines ferment to completion in 4 to 10 days, typically 6 or 7, but the 14 days helps ensure that fermentation is complete.

While it's possible fermentation is not quite complete, any activity you see now is probably degassing. That can go on for weeks and months, although the stirring the kit instructions specify reduce the time for that process.

Future processes will probably be bulk aged longer, I just don't see us waiting very long on this one after day 30
That's totally normal behavior. 🤣

Do yourself a favor -- put aside 4 bottles and open them at 3 month intervals. At each tasting, record your impressions and put your notes away and don't look at them. After the 4th bottle is opened, read your notes from first to last. This will convince you to let future wines age more.

Kit wine instructions are for beginners who have no experienced help. Most wines ferment to completion in 4 to 10 days, typically 6 or 7, but the 14 days helps ensure that fermentation is complete.

While it's possible fermentation is not quite complete, any activity you see now is probably degassing. That can go on for weeks and months, although the stirring the kit instructions specify reduce the time for that process.

That's totally normal behavior. 🤣

Do yourself a favor -- put aside 4 bottles and open them at 3 month intervals. At each tasting, record your impressions and put your notes away and don't look at them. After the 4th bottle is opened, read your notes from first to last. This will convince you to let future wines age more.
Was thinking about that, 2nd rack will go to a 3 gallon for longer aging. Bottle the remaining to <15 750ml and make sure there is 1 or 2 left to compare with the 3 gallon when bottled in a few months.

Back