Retail Blueberry Wine...VILE!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just tasted my triple berry, It is about 16 months, now. I was doing some simple syrup additions, and I can be really hard on my wines. I was wondering what I could do to make it a little nicer. The tart bite still powers out the back sweetening, and any sweeter and I won't like it. Well, I picked up a blueberry wine the other day when I got the Haskap. I figured I'll use that to top up my triple berry and give it some more time. I cracked the top, poured a couple fingers and had a smell. Nothing. A little sip. Bleghhh. It tastes like sweet water with a weak berry presence, no acidity and then on the back center of the tongue this bitter tainted BLEGH. It's the worst wine I have ever tasted. The after taste is akin to the small mason jars that I have tried to save for topping up. Wet cardboard, slight metallic twinge... Likely oxidation, but I have never experienced anything so weak, insipid, and then coming in late with an extra burst of unpleasant.

Is this the worst wine I have ever tasted or is it more likely that its a ruined wine. It's not turned, I can say that much.. But if someone made this intentionally I am REALLY good at this hobby. 🤣

My initial reaction is to take the bottle back and ask the store owner.. Would you knowingly sell this?

I stuck my head in the glass and I knew the smell, but I couldn't identify it. Thinking, sniffing, stewing. Port? 20 minutes later I took a sniff of the cooking sherry that has been open in the cabinet for at least 6-8 months. Bingo. The same bottom end smell, but the blueberry has almost nothing else to hide it.

Anyone have any descriptors that might help me? I can't pass up an opportunity to learn about what seems to be an epic commercial failure.

Bummer.
All fruit or grape based?

And I wonder how long it's been on the shelf. I've read even artificial light can affect a wine in a clear bottle.

Heck with the store - contact the winery. Their reaction will tell you a lot.
If there were grapes in it, it would have some flavor!

Pretty sure this was the big jump for me. I was really interested in the Haskap and feel that was pushing $20 and this one was over. The Haskap was well worth it, but I am feeling my principals rearing their ugly heads. I drink good wines in the $10 and make them for pennies.

I might just reach out and see. I checked the bottle. The name brand is SHADY... batch #03... Did they know? DUHHH, DUHHH, DUHHHHH. (Ominous background music)

Blueberry flavor is hard to maintain, it quickly loses it’s identifiable aroma and turns into mud.
Sherry note suggests that your manufacturer produced oxidized wine and/ or there was a slow oxygen leak on the cork/ and it is old (was there a code date?)

Haskap, ,,, I planted some last year and am curious what this berry can produce, I have only seen two home made haskap through state fair

A 6 hour drive to say you suck is a little much for me. I'll see what the store says. It has been a good learning experience, if nothing else.
Yikes, my bad! My knowledge of Canadian geography is obviously lacking.

(But then, with the earlier arrow on the map and now 6 hours from High Plains my unexpected dinner invite is a little easier!😂 )

I'm with @Rice_Guy and @BigDaveK, it seems like this is a bad bottle that may have been in the store for way too long. I also note your description of wet cardboard; that sounds (smells?) like cork taint to me. So bad cork, leading to TCA and oxidixed (sherry) aromas and flavors.

At least you tasted it before adding to your wine!

At least you tasted it before adding to your wine!
Honestly, it's a learning lesson there, too. If it was a Shiraz, I probably wouldn't have been interested enough to taste it. I did it with my Pinot noir. 10 AM. I can wait, I just dumped it in. Luckily with great results. Anything EVER going into my wine is going to get a taste test.

Except K-meta. That tastes terrible! 😜

Yikes, my bad! My knowledge of Canadian geography is obviously lacking.

(But then, with the earlier arrow on the map and now 6 hours from High Plains my unexpected dinner invite is a little easier!😂 )
Well... Six hours round trip, but I can understand the thought process. Alberta is 661,000 sq km, Ohio is 44,000. everything must be a quick jaunt! 😄

Just a couple of thoughts, adding tannins will help . Extras will improve the over all taste , glycerin ( food grade will build body .
I’ll be making blueberry wine for the first time myself this season , preparing it for the Hammonton Festival.

Latest posts

Back