Grading Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannew

Reaction score
I'm not a wine connoisseur but would like to buy good kits. Can one assume that the higher the percentage of varietal grape juice in the kit the better the quality?

So that 7L would be low quality(unless its a summer wine), 16L good and 23L the best or better?

Generally speaking, that is correct. Along with that higher quality, usually comes a higher price tag.

I was comparing the different brands and as you say the price goes up as the juice L increases. As we can't determine where the companies get the grapes, or their quality I was trying to find a general valuation for comparing different brands. So you could assume a Cab\Sauv from one company with 18L would be better than a another with 16L.

As Flem pointed out, that would generally be true, but not always. IMHO, two great series that are available are the RJ Spagnols "Winery Series" (15L) and the Cellarcraft "Showcase Collection" (16L), both outstanding. Both usually come with grape packs for the red varieties. On the other hand, I have made the Mosti Mondiale "Original All Juice" (23L) and have been somewhat disappointed in the reds while the whites seem okay. Further, the Mosti Mondiale "Rennaissance Collection" (16L), at least the Valpolicella, is good. There does not seem to me to be a hard and fast rule, just a tendency.

Bear in mind that you are also paying to ship water with the bigger kits (which you have readily available, I am sure) so there is a balance that has to be struck there. In my limited experience with kits (I have made 20 since January) I am most pleased with the two series that I mentioned above. I am sure you will get other views on this as it is a somewhat subjective exercise.

Last edited:
So that 7L would be low quality(unless its a summer wine), 16L good and 23L the best or better?
Most of the 23 litre kits are NOT all Juice. Dependng on which 23 litre kit you are asking about the quality varies greatly.

Here's my opinion from Low to High quality

Low) Paklab Opus V - although I have little experience - whites said to be better than reds
Mid) Spagnols Bolero - Pinot Grigio was quite good
High) Vineco Vinterra - PG even better than Bolero, Merlot, Shiraz quite good
Spagnols Premier Cru - have not tried, but based on other's opinions roughly same as Vinterra

(Unknown) Mosti Mondiale All Juice - I'm not a fan of MM kits, and I have read split opinions of this brand.

Personally I would make more Vinterra kits (have a Shiraz ready to bottle) and would try the Premier Cru if there was a decent store nearby. But I would rather make Ken Ridge Showcase, Ken Ridge Founders Series, Cru Select, Cellar Classic Winery Series, or En Premeur (all 16-18 litre kits).

Steve

Latest posts

Back