Getting Juice Buckets AND Grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm just about certain I'm going to get a couple juice buckets from Harford Winery in Maryland. I noticed that they also sell grapes and will destem/crush them (for a fee). Would there be any benefit to buying a bucket of Malbec and a lug of Malbec grapes, then ferment them together? Would I need a press if I wanted to do this? Obviously, I'd need a larger fermenter, but are there any other considerations I need to make?

How much wine could you expect (on average, of course) to get from a 28 pound lug of grapes?

Thanks!

BB24, sounds like a good plan. The advantage I see in adding a lug of fresh grapes would be more flavor and mouth in the finished wine. I would expect about 2 gallons (net) from the addition of the lug. As far as needing a press, I don't think you will for that quantity. I would kludge up a "press" using the two buckets. Drill a series of holes in the bottom and lower sides of one of them, put the grapes in that in a fermenting bucket and use the other bucket as a piston to press the grapes. It would not be as good as a press, but "any port in a storm."

Boatboy24 said:
Hi folks,

I'm just about certain I'm going to get a couple juice buckets from Harford Winery in Maryland. I noticed that they also sell grapes and will destem/crush them (for a fee). Would there be any benefit to buying a bucket of Malbec and a lug of Malbec grapes, then ferment them together? Would I need a press if I wanted to do this? Obviously, I'd need a larger fermenter, but are there any other considerations I need to make?

How much wine could you expect (on average, of course) to get from a 28 pound lug of grapes?

Thanks!

I did that last fall. Got a juice bucket and a lug. So far seems to be coming along nice. The Chilean grapes are only 18lbs lugs. The people at Harford are great to deal with. I bought a 12gal fermenting bucket from them. Nice bucket. Good luck. Maybe we will run into each other there

"The Chilean grapes are only 18lbs lugs."

BB24, I did not know this. I would revise my estimate to about 1.3 gallons of wine (net) from the lug.

"The Chilean grapes are only 18lbs lugs."

BB24, I did not know this. I would revise my estimate to about 1.3 gallons of wine (net) from the lug.

I was only going to use 1 lug. Should I get atleast 2 with my bucket? The Fall grapes were 36lb lugs.

Boatboy24 said:
Hi folks,

Thanks!

Figure about 14 lbs of grapes per gallon of juice.

If you are only doing a lug or two, you can get a large nylon straining bag and put your skins in there to get the remaining juice. Any volume larger than that, rent a press.

harleydm: you're right. 18lbs. $28 per lug. Seems a bit pricey - am I off base?

Rocky: thanks for the input and the picture of my namesake. Too bad it's sitting at the bottom of the ocean! :D

Lou: I like the idea of being able to use the straining bag. Thanks.

Last edited:
harleydm: you're right. 18lbs. $28 per lug. Seems a bit pricey - am I off base?

Rocky: thanks for the input and the picture of my namesake. Too bad it's sitting at the bottom of the ocean! :D

Lou: I like the idea of being able to use the straining bag. Thanks.

Inflation is really tough on wine makers! I don't want to be accused of being the old "when I was a kid" fart, BUT,...when I was a kid and making wine with my Grandfather, Father and Uncles, a 42 pound lug of Zinfandel or Muscat was 75 cents and we got 3 gallons consistently from a lug. My Grandfather was almost homicidal when the price went to $1 per lug. I can only imagine what he would say now.

Hi Boatboy. I got roughly 8-gal from 6 18lbs boxes of Malbec grapes last year. They crushed/destemmed them for me, but I pressed them in strainer bags after fermentation. What a chore! I bought a press after that experience.

I will probably buy a bucket of muscat juice this year since they don't offer the fresh grapes. But I may get chardonnay and viognier grapes. I emailed Kevin and Teresa asking about the difference. They, of course, advised me to get the grapes vice the juice. But I wonder if that's because they make more money off of selling the grapes. They said the grapes are more fresh than the juice, but after 2-3 weeks in transit from Chile, how can they be? On the other hand, I have no idea what additives are in the juice.

When I get a juice bucket I always get a pack/lug of matching grapes to add to it. I use a mesh bag. The bag makes it easier to push under to keep wet, stir, squeeze when you're done and no straining needed. I have not done a batch with and without so I'm only assuming it adds more to the profile.

Ok, methinks I'm going to run with this. Two batches: Carmenere and Malbec. I'm going to get a juice bucket and one lug of each. My assumption at this point is that this will not work with a 7.9 gallon fermenter. Will 10 be enough?

This may end up being my first attempt at blending too.

Thanks for the input!

Jim

Jim, shouldn't that be Ithinks? (That was an old line from Cheers, Woody to Diane).

I think a 10 would be pushing it if you are adding 36 lbs of grapes. They probably would fit but with an active fermentation, you could have a problem with overflow.

Jim, shouldn't that be Ithinks? (That was an old line from Cheers, Woody to Diane).

I think a 10 would be pushing it if you are adding 36 lbs of grapes. They probably would fit but with an active fermentation, you could have a problem with overflow.

Love the old "Woody" quotes. :)

I'm thinking it'd be 18lbs (one lug) and 6gallons of juice per batch.

I think you'd be ok - or split it up with 3 buckets. If you have a 10gal then go for it. I don't, so I usually split them up. Makes stirring easy, and lots of room. And if so inclined you could make that 2 different batches - one with grapes one without. Both with grapes, only one with oak etc. Same batch of wine can make 2 different varieties easily.

I have 1 five gallon bucket, and one 7.9 gallon fermenter. I've got to buy something if I want to do this. I'm thinking one batch split between the 5 and 7.9, and another in a ten gallon that I'll acquire in the near future.

I have 1 five gallon bucket, and one 7.9 gallon fermenter. I've got to buy something if I want to do this. I'm thinking one batch split between the 5 and 7.9, and another in a ten gallon that I'll acquire in the near future.

Don't forget that you will also have the buckets that the juice comes in and they are normally 6 gallons.

Thanks for posting this question. I've been wondering the same thing since I saw the prices last fall. I'll be ordering a bucket of cab juice and a lug of grapes with it.

I think you'd be ok - or split it up with 3 buckets. If you have a 10gal then go for it. I don't, so I usually split them up. Makes stirring easy, and lots of room. And if so inclined you could make that 2 different batches - one with grapes one without. Both with grapes, only one with oak etc. Same batch of wine can make 2 different varieties easily.

Do you guys think 1, 18lb lug would be enough to give 3 buckets the extra mouth feel we used to get from the grape packs. :a1
I have no idea how to make up for the lost grape packs. The malbec I made last year (with 1 fior d'uva grape pack per bucket) turned out great and I don't think it will have enough body with out them. I'm seriously thinking of just making reds from grapes but the malbec grapes are SPENDY!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back