Fortifying Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azimmer1

Winemaker/Luthier/Brewer
Reaction score
I am making my first port. I have already placed it into my secondary and fermentation is likely complete. Is it too late to fortify with brandy? If not, how much would you add to a 3 gal batch

Hi
if you would like to know how I make port - I do it the old fashioned way . It typically means that you stop fermation by adding 195 proof to your wine that is still fermenting and cutting it off when you feel it is approaiate - I like approx 4% residual sugar and the alachol to be around 18-20%

You can also ferment to dry, back sweeten then fortify. Sorbate can be added but not if you did MLF on the wine. You really don't need it as the fortification would make it impossible for yeast to start back up.

You have not said what you are making, it would help if you told us if this is a kit or wine from fresh grapes or a country wine etc.

I am making a port kit from wine expert. It is a standard port. Not flavored

Then I would follow the directions. It should mention somewhere in the directions about fortification.

Mike, not to hijack a thread but how much brandy do recommend to add to 3gal of CRP

About 2 weeks before bottling, I added a 750mL bottle of E&J VSOP Brandy to my 3 gallon WinExpert kit. This raised the ABV by 1 percentage point. It handled the addition well, and I didn't notice a difference in taste at the time.

If you want to bump up your port to the tradional 19% abv range and you are starting with a wine about 16% abv you should add 1 bottle (750ml) per gallon of wine.

Back