fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunildaksha

Junior
Reaction score
I am new at winemaking. this is my first fermentation experience. I grow my own CAB FRANC in Southern California. my wine is stuck at 8.6%Brix. I have already racked it once and started malolactic fermentation. shall I pitch more yeast to complete fermentation or would the residual yeast complete fermentation? any suggestions?

We need more information.
  • What was the original brix or SG?
  • What yeast are you using?
  • Are you checking brix with a refractometer or hydrometer? Refractometers readings are skewed by the presence of alcohol after fermentation starts, and must be translated to get a true reading.
  • What does the wine taste like? Is it sweet?

I am using a digital refractometer called FLUID. my original Brix reading at time of picking grapes was 21-22.The wine tastes little sweet. No odors of any kind.

Attachments

• WINE.txt
    129 bytes · Views: 0
I don't know how your particular "digital refractometer" works. However, as Bryan said, once fermention starts, the alcohol in the wine skews the measurement. (The index of refraction of alcohol is much higher than water.) This makes the refractometer falsely read a higher Brix level.

I suggest that you buy an inexpensive hydrometer and test the SG of your wine. It is probably finished.

A refractometer measures Brix, not SG. Brix is not given as a percentage, so it is 8.6 Brix, not 8.6%. Since you know the original and current Brix, you can plug the numbers into a calculator like this: Homebrew Refractometer Calculator to find the current SG.

Using your numbers of 21.5 original Brix and 8.6 current Brix, your current SG is about 1.000. Your wine is probably finished, or very nearly finished. No need to add any more yeast at this point. You didn't mention how long is has been since you started fermentation, but I'd give it a few more weeks to be sure.

Back