For anyone who has ever rescued a dog BELIEVE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
Both of our 8 year old dogs were rescued dogs. Ginger, we decided if she had one more day with no fleas, with food and water every day and not 15 pounds under weight, well, we figured each day was a blessing. She no longer has her puppies taken away and taught to fight. We had her fixed. Yes, she is a pit!

She was only a few hours from being put to sleep at the humane society because she also had kennel cough. Later we found out she also had heart worms.

Now 6 years later you can see the gratitude towards us when she looks us in the eyes and no more wondering when her next meal will be.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFPnwpkGioc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

About our photo, Ginger never leaves our side. We were outside working and she found a place to lay and still keep us in her sight!

ginger.5.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading where this lady rescued a pit. And then the pit saved her sons life. He was suffering from low sugar or something and the dog would not stop pouncing on him until she checked on him.

dralarms WE are dog lovers and I love rescue stories. The only charitable contributions we make go to animal rescue or human societies because WE see the good these groups do. Our own two dogs are living proof of their good deeds.

We are dog lovers also but dont own any right now because I have no way to contain one with out a chain and I refuse to wear a shackle and wont make an animalwear one either.

The youtube doesn't go with your puppy, but still made my screen blurry. Good on ya for rescuing Ginger, each of you will make the other's life better!

Nice post Sammyk, I do not have a pit but I know what wonderful pets they make. It bothers me to know end the bad rap they get.

We had a Pit-Jack Russel mix for a while. He was a very good dog, however he did not play well with my 11 year old lab. The lab was there first and my son knew that when he brought the dog home from SC. It was sad when we had to get rid of him but it was he or the lab and as I said, lab was there first.

That was wonderful. I posted on FB and told my friends that if they are rescuing a dog, consider one that may not be the prettiest or even the healthiest. Pick the one that shows you the biggest heart. That is what my wife did and it has changed our lives.

olusteebus You are so right! Ginger has forever changed our lives. I had promised I would find her a good home once we got her well because we really did not want another dog. She was dumped on the side of the road. Maybe the previous owner knew she had heart worms. We could not stand to see her suffer when we found her or want her to be hit by a car. In fact we almost hit her when she ran in front of our car. She had a wound on her neck from being chained up. She still has the scar.

Here is something you all may not know. Many years ago we had a dog treated the conventional way for heart worms. He was never the same and we swore never to use arsenic method again.

Our vet told us that she would have to be kept overnight because her treatment method was risky of her having a heart attack. AND extremely expensive with arsenic. We agreed to try the vets method. She said the single treatment would kill adults and in 2 years the baby worms would die if we kept her on Heart Guard. Two years later she was heart worm free! She went through the treatment with flying colors! We had to keep her calm for a few weeks so we crated her.

By the time we got her well and over the treatment, she stole our hearts. Yes, we felt every day she survived was a blessing. That was 6 years ago.

Believe!

Dogs are people too!
Professor of Neuroeconomics Gregory Berns and his colleagues trained dogs to lie completely awake and unrestrained in MRI scanners in order to determine how their brains work and what they think of humans.
For the first time the researchers were able to substantiate that dogs experience positive emotions like love and attachment and "a level of sentience comparable to that of a human child".
In dogs the researchers found that brain activity in the caudate increased in response to food, familiar smells and people.
"In preliminary tests, it activated to the return of an owner who had momentarily stepped out of view," he wrote.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/opinion/sunday/dogs-are-people-too.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

GaDawg What a great article. Without the "scientific research", all of us dog lovers already knew in our hearts and brains that what the article said is TRUE beyond belief! Thank you for the link to a great article!

Who needs research to tell you that dogs love people. All I have to do is look into the eyes of my golden retriever, as he lays by my feet. Or watch him, when I am upset about something. No doubt in my mind.

And thanks for posting the video. I think I must have gotten something in my eyes while I was watching it, they sure did tear up.

My rescue pit is a good boy, except when we play ball, he actually tries to hide the ball and pretends he cant find it, even a glow in the dark ball at night! WVMJ

My rescue pit is a good boy, except when we play ball, he actually tries to hide the ball and pretends he cant find it, even a glow in the dark ball at night! WVMJ

:)

My Bullmastiff-Pit will lay in his dog bed with his tennis ball, looking at me, and nudge it off the edge of his bed with his nose.. the ball hits the floor and rolls under my bed where he cant get it... He'll then drop his head on his paws and look at me like, "You're gonna get it, right?"

I'll get it.. He gets happy, wags his tail, trots in a few circles, lays down on his bed and gives it a few good chews, then nudges it again...

Just to hear me scream, "Are you serious? I just sat down!"

:m :)

If I dont get it, he tries to shove himself under the bed and reach the ball; rather hilarious when he stays standing with his back feet..

If you only knew.
my sister has a boarding kennel, that can board about 30 dogs.
she has had it for 25 years. each run is and indoor/outdoor, fully a/c and heated...Its pretty nice. She just spend about 12 grand upgrade the floors/walls, etc.
She takes dogs by appointment, and never with out the proper vacinations, shots, etc.
About 10 times a year, a (responsible person driving a 30,000 car will drop off, and never return. They never use there real names. and she doesnt have time to get there license plates, all though she has been lately......So far two people have been charged with abandonment.
She either finds a home, are it goes to the humane shelter...What a waste, and some of these dogs are just great, you can not keep them all.

We got our Doxie from a rescue shelter, he was underweight with ribs showing and with knee problems. Now is about a pound or two over weight and no knee problems. He to will hide his toy under a rug or blanket and then pounce on it. If he wants us to play he bumps us with his nose. If he wants out at night he does the same front two legged pounce on our stomach to wake us...ouch.
Won't trade him for the world.
Ended up with a little female ( both spayed and nutered) and those are our furry children!

This thread just warms our hearts because there are SO many good heart folks out there!

Latest posts

Back