Five Million Steps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hiked a portion of the trail when I was a kid, would be fun to do it all.

10 more years until I can retire and get my chance.

Dave,

Good luck on your journey. There are many of us who would like to be in your shoes come March (but know we wouldn't make it to April)

I have to say you are quite the writer as well as wine maker! I didn't see that one coming. I too love to walk the (much shorter) trails of Hocking Hills. It is a few hours drive for me but we try to make it at least every other year.

Tim

After several grand, the gear is all purchased. The grams are all counted, bringing my pack base weight* to just at 20 pounds (before food and water*). That's about average---and what I was hooting for. I've also moved my departure date tp April 1st, to miss some of the colder weather up front and get more Spring in the Smokies. April Fools Day seems kind of appropriate, somehow. I'll be hitting the Approach Trail from Amicalola Falls State Park on March 31st so I can be on Springer Mounatin April 1st---probably with a hundred others---to begin the AT. It's 8+ miles from AFSP to Springer Mountain (about a days casual stroll).

I'm hoping GaDawg can host me for a night on the south end around the 30th of March. I also hope to meet up with some of you along the way. I'm humbled that my "wine making family" wants to be a part of this. You folks are awesome!

109 days!

I have been super busy, and my itinerary has changed for my hike. Not because of the weather. Read on...

The big concern in the AT community this year is the impact of the northbound "Bubble" on the trail and it's resources. Between April 15th and May 15th, fully half of those attempting a thru-hike will step off from Springer Mountain in Geogia (the southern terminus). Last year, that meant about 1500 people departing over those 30 days. Do the math! Can you imagine 50-100 people packing campsites and shelters every day, day after day for a month?! When the few privies are full, everyone starts crapping in the woods. A thousand people going in the woods around any given camp site over a thirty day period! The tales surrounding these fields of poop are legendary! Yuck!

And this year---with the release of several movies about long distance hiking---it is expected to be worse. In addition, most of those who depart northbound from Springer have no clue what they are in for. Statistically, half of the 1500 won't make it through the Smokies (first two weeks). Most of these are twenty-somethings who entertain fatasies about the "two thousand mile rolling party", and are unprepared both mentally and physically for such a monumental undertaking.

I decided I just couldn't do it! But what to do? As it turns out, one does not have to hike north. That's a myth. So, after a lot of thought (not really), I've decided to do what's called a Flip Flop Alternative Thru-Hike. This involves simply starting at the half way point (Harpers Ferry, WV), hike to the northern terminus (Ktahdin Mountain in Maine), take a bus or train back to Harpers Ferry and head south to Georgia. The benefits with this are many. Since I can start later (May 3rd), the weather will be milder. And at the end of my hike, I get to walk through the Smokies in October! Something I am really looking forward to!

After researching and asking questions, I got in deep---as usual. I am now working with Laurie Potteiger of the Appaalchian Trail Concervancy (offices in Harpers Ferry, WV) to promote the first ever Flip Flop Kick Off scheduled for May 2nd. Many people have changed their plans (like me) to disburse the Bubble and help preserve the Trail and it's fragile ecology. Helping to pioneer such an effort across social media and hiker forums has kept me busy in addition to all the other things I want/need to do before I depart. It's working, as our Flip Flopper numbers have continued increase, especially amongst the more mature hikers. This way, I'll get to enjoy the wonder of the trail along with fewer people around, and a more level-headed group of travelers like myself.

I've got nine weeks to finish getting ready. If any of you are still interested in getting involved in my hike, I'd love some Trail Magic along the way. Let me know where you are, and I'll give you an idea when I'll be near.

Nine weeks!!!!!? Holy crap!

Thanks for the update Dave. I was wondering recently on how your plans were going.

Too bad that you need to cut this in half. I am sure that you had it in your mind to attack it from point A to point B.

How about going from north to south? You could start later (Maine has a late spring and Georgia has a late fall). Would you still have a "Bubble" problem?

Good idea. I did not know that such a "bubble" existed but it makes sense.

Thanks for the update Dave. I was wondering recently on how your plans were going.

Too bad that you need to cut this in half. I am sure that you had it in your mind to attack it from point A to point B.

How about going from north to south? You could start later (Maine has a late spring and Georgia has a late fall). Would you still have a "Bubble" problem?

That's just it, John. It's not a bad thing. It's perfect for me. More than anything I have ever done, this is about the journey, not the destination.

Being a goal-oriented individual, I have to keep reminding myself of this.

Well, you are all your own in wine making for the next six months. In a little over two weeks, I'll be taking my first steps on the AT, heading north from Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. I should hit New Jersey toward the end of May, New Hampshire by the end of June, and finish my norhtern leg (half way) around the beginning of August.

I have all my gear worked out, and nearly everything arranged for my absence here at home. My wife has been very supportive. My biggest challenge will be missing her.

I will be starting up a Facebook page so those who are interested can follow along. This was decided for simplicity, not because I am a big Facebook fan. I will post a link here, when it is up and running.

Getting excited to go!

Have a great trip, Dave. Sounds like a great trip, wish I could still walk like that. Check in with us when you can. Arne.

Good luck Dave and I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures

Looking forward to hearing all of your stories Dave - be safe and have fun!
Following!

Hey Dave we are not far from the trail. If need a contact and assistance in or near my neck of the woods let me know, and I will send you our contact info.

Latest posts

Back