first time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosshazer

Junior
Reaction score
Doing a kit....Checking my sg tonight...then racking in carboy if sg is good...then what do i do with the sediment in fermerter...do i save and mix back in later....im confused..what do i do with it until if i do mix it back in

Hi rosshazer,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. No you don't add it back in, you can dump it or there is a thread on here about skeeter pee, you can use it to make that if you want.

You should have taken most of it with the wine when you transferred, according to the kit makers. All but the thickest of it. Less to top up later in the process.

I always pour my lees (the leftovers) into my compost bin. Lots of enzymes and microscopic critters in there to work on the pile!

Thanks for the help everyone ...everythings going great....i will ask alot of questions before i mess up.... started a black raspberry Saturday.. 3 days in i checked S.G. and im at 1.008... should i rack or wait the 5 to 7 days....

Hi this is my first post and I have a question. My wine has been in secondary for 2 weeks now. It's not fermenting anymore. I have the color, flavor, and alcohol content I want. Can I go ahead and add the campden tablets and bottle or should I wait a while? I racked it again last night and de-gased it again. I just started makin wine and I'm not really sure what I'm doing any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi this is my first post and I have a question. My wine has been in secondary for 2 weeks now. It's not fermenting anymore. I have the color, flavor, and alcohol content I want. Can I go ahead and add the campden tablets and bottle or should I wait a while? I racked it again last night and de-gased it again. I just started makin wine and I'm not really sure what I'm doing any help is greatly appreciated.

It's necessary for you to tell us what you're making because wines can have several steps before bottling. Some wines can be bottled in just a few weeks but it really depends on what you're making. BTW, if you're making a kit wine, be specific on which one.

Tony P.

You should leave it in the carboy for at least 90 days. Longer is better with wine (and other things!).

Latest posts

Back