Film(??) on top of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockets160

Junior
Reaction score
1 gallon Pinot Noir Wine kit at day 29. According to the instructions, everything has been completed except bottlling. I wanted to rack one more time for an additional week as it looked like there were sediments in the bottom. Upon opening my Fermenter (Big Mouth Bubbler), there looked to be a "film" on top of the wine. It almost looked like oil on water, or a soapy film on water. There was not much there, just some patches but I have no idea what it is. I tasted the wine and it tasted just like a Pinot Noir. I racked over to another carboy and am planning to let it sit for another 6-7 days before bottling.

Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks for the help.

Jeff

1 gallon Pinot Noir Wine kit at day 29. According to the instructions, everything has been completed except bottlling. I wanted to rack one more time for an additional week as it looked like there were sediments in the bottom. Upon opening my Fermenter (Big Mouth Bubbler), there looked to be a "film" on top of the wine. It almost looked like oil on water, or a soapy film on water. There was not much there, just some patches but I have no idea what it is. I tasted the wine and it tasted just like a Pinot Noir. I racked over to another carboy and am planning to let it sit for another 6-7 days before bottling.

Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks for the help.

Jeff

No idea but I had something similar happen after opening a bottled RJS OVZ kit made wine. The taste is very good, but there is this slight white'ish flim that sits on top of the wine in the glass.
No idea what it is.

I had something similar happen to a kit with grape skins while it sat in the secondary carboy. It also formed a thin ring around the top, kinda whitish. I googled and read about a bunch of similar situations. Best advice was to google "wine infection" and look at the pictures for comparison, that can really help put your mind at ease. Lots of people suggested a slight film and or thing white ring around a carboy can be lipid deposits, seems more common on kits with a grape skin pack. Anyway since what I had didn't look anything like the infection pictures, I put it out of my mind and when I racked again it went away.

I'd try John's advice, I have a 3 gal mix of cab and pinot that had a similar white ring formed in the neck of the carboy. I racked, added Kmeta, stirred well and problem disappeared. Oddly neither one of the original batches of cab and pinot, now in 6 gal carboys, have/had anything similar.
Mike

k Meta

Thanks all for the help. I did check out google images to see if any matched. There was some really ugly pics there.... none matched my issue. Tossed in 1/16th teaspoon (instructions on package for 1 gallon) of k meta just in case. I'll let you know how it looks next week.
Jeff

:i:i:i:ihey rocketd160,.
I was to tell you a cant see pictures very good, you reason you might sent me a case or so to try it for you, you know just from the kindest do I attempt to sucker you our ,,er cough grunt I mean be of service to a patsy uh I mean a friend in his time of need,,,

Latest posts

Back