Field Blending

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
Hey I am going to try fermenting the whole crop from my test plot in one batch since it will only be a few gallons. Varieties an weights are 17 pounds Marquette, 10 pounds Frontenac Gris, 15 pounds Frontenac Blanc, 5 pounds Frontenac and 10 pounds LaCrosse. I was going to press the whites first and ferment separate, but would it be more interesting to just crush it all together? Any watch outs with this method?

Those are all cold hardy varieties of which I am not familiar but I don't see any problem with what you plan. I know that the prevailing view is to ferment reds on their skins and whites off their skins but over the years we made thousands of gallons of Zinfandel blended with Muscat, all on their skins and never had an issue.

Most people ferment and then blend according to what they have and what they can achieve with those wines to improve on the overall lot. That said, with such small volumes what you are looking to do also makes sense. Just recognize that you will lose the varietal character of each and can't predict how they will combine in advance.

Last year I only had enough Foch and Oberlin Noir to make 3 gallons, 2/3 + 1/3. I just combined them at crush. I was very pleased with the result; if anything, the O. N. took some of the harsher aspects of Foch away. But this year I had enough for 5 gallons of each, so I am making the wine separately and will make any blending decisions at the end. The ONLY reason I threw them together up-front last year was volume considerations, and I see nothing wrong with that.

With 57 lbs of grapes total, if I did the quick math right, I'd just throw them together too.

Thanks guys, this forum is so helpful. It's all volume driving it, but I am interested in how the mutt wine will come out.

Thanks guys, this forum is so helpful. It's all volume driving it, but I am interested in how the mutt wine will come out.

Be sure to let us know, and good luck. I had great luck with mutt dogs throughout my life (all I owned until my avatar) so I won't pre-judge your mutt wine. :)

Back