Fermenting temps...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
Just an observation... So, I started a WE Pinot Gris three days ago. Pitched the yeast at about 73°F. Fermentation room (basement laundry room) is about 67°. Primary temp dropped and fermentation started. Went downstairs tonight to see how everything is coming along. I have two buckets right next to each other. The beer (NZ Rye IPA) is at 67° and the Pinot G is at 73° and bubbling away. I guess the yeast activity is up-ping the temp.

Just an observation... So, I started a WE Pinot Gris three days ago. Pitched the yeast at about 73°F. Fermentation room (basement laundry room) is about 67°. Primary temp dropped and fermentation started. Went downstairs tonight to see how everything is coming along. I have two buckets right next to each other. The beer (NZ Rye IPA) is at 67° and the Pinot G is at 73° and bubbling away. I guess the yeast activity is up-ping the temp.

In my limited experience (new at this), fermentation raises the temps considerably. This was at 77F before fermentation started (about 24 hours ago) (Brewbelt is not plugged in). This has been true of all of the batches I have done so far in this fermenter (with very accurate digital thermometer).

IMG_1059.jpg

Yup, fermentation can make quite a bit of heat. It is even more pronounced when fermenting on grape skins.

J-A-Guy, Nice conical. Yeah, I've been brewing for about four and a half years and this is the first time I noticed this.

Back