Faint oily sheen after racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent-Brewer

Junior
Reaction score
I'm just over 7 days into a kit, hit my target gravity range, and was racking over to secondary per instructions when I noticed an oily sheen on the surface of my wine. It isn't white (only noticeable if you catch the light perfectly) and there's still fermentation going on, but could this be the start of a mycoderma infection? Side note, the white spots are just CO2 bubbles from continued fermentation and CO2 offgassing after the transfer.

20160107_221212-66671.jpg

20160107_221058-66672.jpg

I'm hesitant to call it mycoderma because there's still active fermentation going on (and a nice CO2 blanket), I'm obsessive in my sanitizing, and it isn't white... but if I have to sulfite/rack/repitch to save the batch I gladly will.

I know to top off the carboy - the photos were from mid-racking when I noticed it. I stopped the transfer while there was still enough surface area to get a shot (airlock was just an extra precaution nothing got in during the photos). I did not see anything like this in the primary fermenter when I went back to check, which leads me to think it may have been some sort of residue off either my tubing or carboy (I clean after every use, then rinse and sanitize before the next use).

Any idea what this could be or what my next steps should be?
(Essentially copied my question from HBT)

Don't worry about it. Keep an eye on it but I've had that a few times. Some of mine have developed into a white cream, from a protein overload. Natural. You can search for my post in that.

What kit? Did it have a grape pack?

Awesome, thanks. I had the Eclipse Lodi Ranch Cab kit (with skins). I've been monitoring it, and actually it started to subside just a little bit ago. Never seen it before with beer/cider except when I added an oil based flavor extract once. Floated for a little until the alcohol broke it down.

It happened on my Lodi Cab as well. I think it's normal. In two cases it developed into a white cream on the side. Talking with Winexpert we decided it was excess protein, probably from me squeezing the grape pack much too hard during primary.

Normal. Rack off it next time around if it still persists.

Latest posts

Back