F-pack questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanyalc

Reaction score
Hi I am going to start playing around with f-packs and I have a few questions...

1. What is the best white wine / red wine to add a f-pack to? Or is it just personal preference? (I was thinking Chardonnay for white and Merlot for red.)

2. My plan is to take 500 ml of juice concentrate (frozen juice thawed) and use that as my f-pack for a 6 gallon carboy. I plan to clear the wine and the add flavor, wait a few days then bottle. Will this work?

3. Do I need to add anything else when I add the f-pack?

Thanks. Your help is appreciated

This should work just fine. I use sparkoloid as a clearing agent and prefer to add the F-pack and back sweeten before the sparkoloid.
I have always been nervous that the F-pack may cloud the wine again.

IMO, it depends what flavour you are trying to add to the wine. For example, one description I found of Chardonnay says "Aromas of ripe tropical fruit and crisp green apple ". So I think that those flavours would go well with Chardonnay. A description of Piesporter says "floral bouquet with hints of peach and citrus".

Similarly for reds, Cabernet Sauvignon says " juicy black currant fruit aromas." Merlot says "juicy blackberries and strawberries ". Pinot Noir says "aromas of raspberry and cherry". So those are the flavours that I would think are appropriate for those varieties.

Now I just looked at one source (Vineco Ken Ridge Classic), so there should be other descriptions out there.

Steve

IMO, it depends what flavour you are trying to add to the wine. For example, one description I found of Chardonnay says "Aromas of ripe tropical fruit and crisp green apple ". So I think that those flavours would go well with Chardonnay. A description of Piesporter says "floral bouquet with hints of peach and citrus".

Similarly for reds, Cabernet Sauvignon says " juicy black currant fruit aromas." Merlot says "juicy blackberries and strawberries ". Pinot Noir says "aromas of raspberry and cherry". So those are the flavours that I would think are appropriate for those varieties.

Now I just looked at one source (Vineco Ken Ridge Classic), so there should be other descriptions out there.

Steve
And these depend on where the grapes are from. I have never f paked a red grape wine but have done swiss reserve on whites

Thanks for the advice.

One last question: is 500 ml enough for 6 gallons?

Answer to question 3 is K-meta & Sorbate if you haven't already added them. If you don't the f-pac could start up fermentation.

SBWs said:
Answer to question 3 is K-meta & Sorbate if you haven't already added them. If you don't the f-pac could start up fermentation.

Thanks.. how much?

Test run with some blending at bench. It is impossible to take some out but easy to add more. My guess is 500ml is to much for 6 gallons

1/4 tsp of K-meta for 6 gallons and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate per gallon. This will stun any yeast still present and also stop them from reproducing.

mmadmikes1 said:
Test run with some blending at bench. It is impossible to take some out but easy to add more. My guess is 500ml is to much for 6 gallons

Thanks... I guess it will also depend on taste too.

SBWs said:
1/4 tsp of K-meta for 6 gallons and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate per gallon. This will stun any yeast still present and also stop them from reproducing.

Thanks for all the help.

Man, hanging out with Canadians has had a weird outcome, I knew how much 500ml was without using a conversion chart. someome slap me if I start watching hockey and saying 'Ey

mmadmikes1 said:
Man, hanging out with Canadians has had a weird outcome, I knew how much 500ml was without using a conversion chart. someome slap me if I start watching hockey and saying 'Ey

Now, you got to get it right... it is not ey, but "eh"

Latest posts

Back