WineXpert Eclipse Forza

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. RC212 is pretty easy going. I guess the 1118 is insurance. Not that you should take my advice, but I'd probably just pitch the 212.

Hmm, I suspect you are correct that the EC-1118 is for insurance. Note, however, that the expected ABV of this wine is 16%, close to the alcohol tolerance of RC-212. (The document I linked says 16%, but lots of other sources say only 14%.)

Personally, I would reserve a quart of must, and start the rest with RC-212. Then after about 2/3 of the sugar is gone, I would start the EC-1118 in the reserved quart, then add to the rest of the must for any required "mopping up."

Hmm, I suspect you are correct that the EC-1118 is for insurance. Note, however, that the expected ABV of this wine is 16%, close to the alcohol tolerance of RC-212. (The document I linked says 16%, but lots of other sources say only 14%.)

Personally, I would reserve a quart of must, and start the rest with RC-212. Then after about 2/3 of the sugar is gone, I would start the EC-1118 in the reserved quart, then add to the rest of the must for any required "mopping up."

There you go again, letting facts get in the way of my advice. :) Good call.

Mine is scheduled to arrive on Friday, but I'll have to wait for my primary to free up later next week before cranking up the Forza. I'll be curious to hear how you conduct your fermentation, keep us posted!

Paul, that is a good thought. I'm just finishing up an Orchard Breezin Cab Sauv/Raspberry batch that I used RC-212 on (first time I used RC-212). I got it down to 1.010 and added about 1/2 the f-pack (took it to 1.023) 7 days ago and just checked it today and it is 1.000. Have to admit the ambient temp is fluctuating between 66 and 68*F, but BM 4x4 would have had it dry (.990) in 4 days max. Seems like RC-212 is a slow steady fermenter.

I do like the early flavor of the RC-212 so I had planned on using it. As I remember, EC-1118 is pretty neutral so it shouldn't take too much away from the flavor profile of the 212 in the earlier part of the ferment.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Interesting. RC212 is pretty easy going. I guess the 1118 is insurance. Not that you should take my advice, but I'd probably just pitch the 212.

As a side note, I just started the LE Super Tuscan which came with only RC212.

Jim, if I pitched the RC-212 and let it go until it stopped, if it stopped short is there any difference adding the second yeast in at that point verses putting the EC-1118 in while the RC-212 is still chugging along nicely as Paul suggests?

Jim, if I pitched the RC-212 and let it go until it stopped, if it stopped short is there any difference adding the second yeast in at that point verses putting the EC-1118 in while the RC-212 is still chugging along nicely as Paul suggests?

Very little difference, IMHO.

Paul: Do you agree? :hug :p :)

Started this kit tonight. Followed the directions to a "T" other than using preboiled/cooled water (from my beer making side) and only pitching the RC-212 yeast (rehydrated in Go Ferm). SG before adding the grape pac was 1.080 @ 70*F (1.081 adj) and after adding the pac plus one hour wait it was 1.102 @ 70*F (1.103 adj). That would put it at 15.1 - 15.5% ABV if it goes dry to .990. Think that is fine as I believe others have said the grape pack gives up more goodies including SG increasing sugars over time.

Fermenting it in the upstairs area as the temps have been holding in the low 70's (71-73*F). Will have to monitor as it is supposed to get hot around these part the next few days so the AC will cool things off, so I might have to move the bucket a good distance from the register. I'm thinking the bedroom so the melody of the airlock can put me to sleep :sl

Starting to show airlock activity. Opened up the bucket, squeezed the bag, took temp and SG reading, then added about 1/2 of my Fermaid O (5g) and closed it back up. Oak smells good but gets everywhere. Sock was hanging mid level in the bucket. I'm sure it will be on top when I open it up tomorrow a.m. (SG reading was 1.105 after adjusting for temperature).

Now time to go get some yard work done. It's a beautiful day around these parts!

Well, tomorrow a.m. became 1 p.m., the SG is down to 1.082 and the internal temperature is up to 76*F (ambient is 70*F, warmer here today and air cond is cranking). When I squeezed the skins I realized about 1/2 the mass is already gone. Oak smells great and the RC-212 is really sizzling along. About 3 blurps every two seconds. Whole house smells a bit yeasty, could tell when I walked in the door after being outside a while. Wonder if the Wife would like that scent in her perfume?

My kit should arrive Tuesday.

how should one keep/store the hold-back quart for the E-1118? Wondering how to keep it without ambient yeast or bacteria taking hold?

When I have done this, I have sanitized a mason jar, then put the must in it, and the jar in the fridge. Take it out a few hours before inoculation to warm up.

"If, for example, you bought a quart of apple cider and put it in the fridge for a week, would you worry about spoilage?"

Well said, thanks. I was thinking Star-San as the sanitizer. I won't worry about it after your advice.

Out of curiosity I checked the SG tonight at ~ 9:15 pm. 1.060 @ 78*F (1.062 adj). Guess it has really been cranking away today. Ambient temperature climbed to 73*F since we got some cloud cover and the outside temperature dropped. Just worried I'll miss my halfway point when I usually add the other 1/2 dose of Fermaid O. Guess it will be fine as long as I'm close. Expect lower than 1.050 tomorrow morning (usually up just before 5 am).

Checked this morning before leaving for work. SG was 1.046 @ 80*F (1.048 adj). Added other 1/2 dose of Fermaid O and squeezed the contents of the sock, not much left in there.

May have to move it to the basement to finish, kids are getting a little irritated by the yeasty smell. Also the ambient temp in the corner I have it in was almost 74*F this morning. The basement is around 68*F, which should be fine. Just want it to finish as dry as can be.

Latest posts

Back