Duration of Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The 4 - 6 months is what I thought, but not sure. I will add the K-Meta but no more sorbate. Once should be enough.

I don't rack my wines that often. Once fermentation stops I degass and add about 1/2 tsp of potassium metabisulfite for 6 gallons. I sparkaloid it then rack it in one to two weeks. I then plug the carboy and let er sit. I will let it sit for 6 months to a year, or longer. When ready to bottle i rack it into a bucket, back sweeten as necessary, add potassium sorbate, 3 tsp for 6 gal, and bottle. I don't actually get more than 28 to 29 bottles from 6 gallon because I don't rack it all the way down to avoids sucking up the sediment. I also use a vacuum pump to rack it so I do not disturbs the sediment.

No need to spend $100's on vacuum pump either. I made my own for about $50 and I can rack into a carboy or bucket. If interested message me. I bottle from a bucket simply out of preference. There is no real reason to do so. I just find it easier when back sweetening. No funnel and I just put the hydrometer in the bucket.

Latest posts

Back