Don't Do What I Did!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugger

Reaction score
This is a minor slip up that could prove disastrous and I can't believe I did it so I'm telling you so it won't happen to you!
I made a Spagnols GCI Brunello kit last Sept. and had it sitting for about 10 months in the carboy so I decided to rack it the end of July and bottle it shortly thereafter - it had a bit of headspace but I thought a few days or even a week under airlock before actually bottling was not a problem for oxidation. Well, a week turned into 2 1/2 weeks before I actually bottled this weekend and a small taste sample seemed a bit muted for a year old wine. After finishing I cleaned everything up and when I cleaned the airlock - surprise, surprise, no float in my airlock; my 3 piece had become a 2 piece!! I must have been in a rush when I racked it and didn't notice. So my wine had direct exposure to the air for 2 1/2 weeks and it has apparently oxidized some. I'll open a bottle in 2-3 weeks to see how it tastes; maybe it won't be so bad.
Anyway, make sure your airlock is all there when you use it!

That happened to me but fortunately I found it before it was too late. I was badly in need of another airlock. I found a sewing thimble, cleaned it and placed over the stem where the float or cap should go. Hope it works.

Hopefully that wine isnt ruined and the bottling mixed in what little bit got oxidized from that short time.

For these exact reasons when storing for extended times I use the "S" type air lock. The potential for a suck back is greatly reduced. As long as there is liquid in the bottom of the bend you still have the one way valve in place. I am tying to find out more about the silicone type but information is a bit limited but if they work like the write up says they definitely interest me there is no liquid involved to make the valve.

Air lock under control

:tzI GUESS WE HAVE ALL MADE THAT MISTAKE ALONG THE LINE,AND WHEN YOU BOIL IT DOWN IT COMES FROM RUSHING TO GET SOMETHING DONE,TO MOVE ONTO SOMETHING ELSE,IT PAYS TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE DETAILS :ftAND HAVE PATIENTS,WE AT TIMES ALL NEED TO REMEMBER THAT'S A " TRUE RULE OF THUMB"THERE IS A PROCESS AND PATIENTS IS THE MASTER OF IT:ts

I almost did that when racking my peach wine the other night. Fortunately, when I was cleaning the equipment afterward, I noticed that I had extra parts and was able to correct it. Thanks for the tip though. Easy to forget little details sometimes - especially if we are sampling while working on the wine. :D

Just a little taste?

:wy OH YES JUST A LITTLE TO SEE HOW THIS ONE IS MATURING AND THAT ONE TO SEE IF YOUR FIX TOOK HOLD,I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN...I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN:HB

For these exact reasons when storing for extended times I use the "S" type air lock. The potential for a suck back is greatly reduced. As long as there is liquid in the bottom of the bend you still have the one way valve in place. I am tying to find out more about the silicone type but information is a bit limited but if they work like the write up says they definitely interest me there is no liquid involved to make the valve.

Yes, I use the "S" type for bulk aging as well; in fact this wine had one but when I racked I decided to wash the "S" one and threw on the 3 piece ( 2 piece as it turned out) until bottling. I've heard of the silicone ones but not yet seen any locally in any of the shops.

I use the S lock as well.

If you had good tannins and ph levels - the wine shouldn't be that bad. They aid in protecting against bacteria and oxidation..

I agree about the S type. Even a little solution will still keep the wine safe. The solution evaporates mush more slowly and no suck back.

I just never use my 3-piece for bulk aging. Because of a suck back, the 3-piece can be full of solution one day, then too low the very next. Got to watch they very closely.

Latest posts

Back