Do I need a press?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a very good point. But they have gone through the trouble of having "Food Grade" Brute trash cans.

The trash cans are actually used a lot in industrial food plants to store processed meat/chicken.

I can see the need for a large food grade certified container. A food grade mop strainer? Not so much :D

I doubt very much that most winemaking equipment (basket press, barrels) could possibly be considered 'food grade'..

I would have no qualms using plastic mop buckets etc so long as they weren't going to leach plasticky tastes into the wine.

I have 50L of must to press and I'm currently weighing up whether to invest in a little sample press, or try to rig something else up.

Last time I tried to press in a potato masher, ended up breaking the metal and had to complete using bare hands, colander and a coffee plunger. Messy stuff but it turned out OK.

REDRUM,

IMHO, the cost of a press, even a cheap one, is going to be a huge expense for 50 liters of wine.

If you see yourself making 50 liters each year, Instead of purchasing a press, I would go with the "bucket in bucket" set up. It is cheap and works well.

If you see yourself making larger and larger amounts each year, then the investment in a press is well worth it but I would consider the following..

Assuming that you syphon off the free run juice, for 50 liters of must, you will have perhaps 1 or 2 gallons of pressings. That is going to be too little for an average size press to process. I advise you to choose the size of press that is right for you. A size that you can use now and continue using for years to come.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but has anyone seen any plans for making a homemade bladder press? I have done the bucket press, but I am not happy with it after using it for two seasons. Seems like it would be straight forward if you could find an appropriately sized food grade bladder...

REDRUM,

IMHO, the cost of a press, even a cheap one, is going to be a huge expense for 50 liters of wine.

If you see yourself making 50 liters each year, Instead of purchasing a press, I would go with the "bucket in bucket" set up. It is cheap and works well.

If you see yourself making larger and larger amounts each year, then the investment in a press is well worth it but I would consider the following..

Assuming that you syphon off the free run juice, for 50 liters of must, you will have perhaps 1 or 2 gallons of pressings. That is going to be too little for an average size press to process. I advise you to choose the size of press that is right for you. A size that you can use now and continue using for years to come.

Thanks JT, these are the questions I'm currently tossing up...!
I have access to a basket press for larger volumes but for the small batches I was thinking about a little tabletop press, one of these sorts of things:
art340.gif

But only if it's much more effective than the bucket-in-bucket job.....!

Is that expensive? I find that the little tabletop presses sometimes cost almost as much as the larger ones. In any case, that press does look sharp and I would think it perfect for a small 50 liter batch.

Amazon has a 3L Stainless Basket Press for $120 plus shipping. Looks nice in the pics. If all your ever gonna do is small batches it should work.

Italian Basket Press

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, go twice as big for another 30 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQFX11K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It may be worthwhile to search for a used press. I was able to pick up an 18L press on Craigslist for $135. Very well worth the wait.

Yup, This is what I was talking about. The small ones really do not cost that much less than the big ones. I hate to see someone purchase a small one, then shell out almost the same amount a second time when an upgrade is needed.

I've never seen those stainless steel ones, looks like they are easier to use and clean? How sturdy are they?

If its as good as it looks in the pic, I'd be all over that #30 in the first ad.

Sorry to keep hijacking this thread...

Got in touch with the guy in town for the first link, his price is firm at $125 for that #30 press, said he only used 2 seasons and bought a bigger press.
Said he paid like $250 for this press and that it is in very good shape, no rust on base.

What you guys think? Take the plunge? :ft:ft

Sorry to keep hijacking this thread...

Got in touch with the guy in town for the first link, his price is firm at $125 for that #30 press, said he only used 2 seasons and bought a bigger press.
Said he paid like $250 for this press and that it is in very good shape, no rust on base.

I paid $130 for what is basically a #25. Like I said, I'd be all over it if it is in good shape.

It looks like the basket and blocks have been painted or shellacked in those pics. The wood looks all shiny. You might ask if he did coat them with something and what did he use, was it food grade.

The price is good.

Thanks guys, spoke to him and may see the wine press today, his price is firm but will see if he can take a few bucks off anyway. Is either this, or get a mop wringer at Wallmart (temporary :D ) for this 3-bucket Chardonnay batch of frozen grapes next week....

Like Mike said, as long as the 'shiny' checks out OK, get it. Last time I looked, those mop wringers were $40 or $50 on Amazon. $125 is well worth the money.

Latest posts

Back