Do I need a press?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsiddall

Reaction score
I am looking at making some wine from either frozen or fresh crushed grapes. A press is often listed amongst the "necessary equipment" for making wine from grapes.

However, since I prefer new world (fruitier) styles and definitely do not like harsh tannins, is a press really required? Could I hand-squeeze the skins in a mesh bag after fermentation and then re-use them in a "second pressing", perhaps added to a juice bucket, to get the remaining goodness out of them without ever using a press?

I believe having or not having a press is dependent on how large a batch of wine you are going to make. Hand squeezing, pressing in a colander over a pot, pressing in a sieve, etc. will work fine for small batches. I would not want to use these methods for larger batches.

If you are looking for an inexpensive means of pressing, here is an idea that I read about that seems very clever. I have not tried it, but I see no reason why it would not work.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/rubbermaid-wavebrake-bucket-wringer-26-quart/103903.ip?cid=SPOT_4UP_1

I would line the hopper with a mesh bag for easy removal of the crushed skins and clean up.

It's Rubbermaid. Maybe the same material as a brute trash can?

I just poked my head into the janitors closet downstairs at work as I remembered they have one of these. The base is a #2 HDPE which is food grade and the top "press" part is a #5 PP. The top when fully squeezed closed is about 1" wide still and about 8" across. If the one your looking at has the same specs it might work for small lots.

This is the way they do it in ND. :) It works. I did two 5lb batches of frozen must by hand in a strainer bag. I will never do it again! It works but lots of work.

I just poked my head into the janitors closet downstairs at work as I remembered they have one of these. The base is a #2 HDPE which is food grade and the top "press" part is a #5 PP. The top when fully squeezed closed is about 1" wide still and about 8" across. If the one your looking at has the same specs it might work for small lots.

Interesting, Mike. If I ever tried this method, I think I would cut a couple pieces of 1/2" plywood and screw them to the sides of the pressure area to take up the slack. I think that someone on the forum is using this idea.

Polypropylene (PP) is used in food applications, so it may be okay.

That would be a good idea with the plywood Rocky. Yes someone on here did try it in the past but I can guarantee you he is not doing it anymore today since going pro.

UPDATE

I had an email from Rubbermaid this morning informing me that the product is made of Polypropylene and is not food grade. Based on this information, I don't think I would chance it with my wines even though the period of time that there is contact is brief. For me, it would not be worth the risk.

UPDATE

I had an email from Rubbermaid this morning informing me that the product is made of Polypropylene and is not food grade. Based on this information, I don't think I would chance it with my wines even though the period of time that there is contact is brief. For me, it would not be worth the risk.

Thanks for the update.

I think for now I will stick with hand wringing the skins bag. Past experience with fruit wine showed I could get the pulp quite dry this way so I don't see there being much to be gained from a press when making a small batch.

I have a scissor jack press made out of 2x4's, a car jack, a cherry pressing plate and a food grade 7 gallon bucket with holes in it.

I pressed 432 pounds of grapes last harvest in a couple of hours. It works really well for the price (about 50$, primarily in the form of a scissor jack).

BTW, I am also in Ottawa and could lend it to you if you want to try it out.

Cheers,

L.

Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know if I go ahead with the grapes idea.

I have seen some plans for homemade presses and I could build a press out of a spare jack I have but then there is the issue of where to store the thing the rest of the year!

UPDATE

My very first batch made from grapes in Sept 2013 was pressed with that bucket Wringer I got from Walmart.

Take it with a grain of salt but that is the best wine I ever made so far....:)

I'd try this method again if need be.

Last edited:
I am not surprised that you had success with it. The amount of time that there is contact between the grapes/juice and the plastic is very brief. I don't think a lot could happen in that time if one took some basic precautions. If it were I, I would put the bucket assembly in the sun for a day or so to help with the outgassing of some compounds that could potentially harm the wine. I would also scrub and disinfect the crap out of the thing and rinse it well with hot water. If it works for you, it is a really economical piece of equipment for small batches.

@Rocky

Polypropylene definitely can be food grade. My Tupperware dishes are all made of PP.

Did Rubbermaid tell you that they were not food grade or are you assuming that they are not because they are made of PP?

Whether they are food grade or not would depend on the manufacturing process.

@Rocky

Polypropylene definitely can be food grade. My Tupperware dishes are all made of PP.

Did Rubbermaid tell you that they were not food grade or are you assuming that they are not because they are made of PP?

Whether they are food grade or not would depend on the manufacturing process.

Good question. In the response I got from Rubbermaid, they stated specifically that the material was Polypropylene and was not food grade.

I am not versed enough in plastic chemistry to confirm or deny whether all PP is food grade or not. Could it be that this particular item is not food grade because it has not been certified as such?

I would understand Rubbermaid to not want to certify janitorial equipment as food grade ;)

Hmmm........

I would understand Rubbermaid to not want to certify janitorial equipment as food grade ;)

Hmmm........

That's a very good point. But they have gone through the trouble of having "Food Grade" Brute trash cans.

Latest posts

Back