What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been playing around with sausage. I got a brisket at costco and decided to try burgers. I was making italian sausage and pulled out some of our regular ground and mixed it with a lb of flat brisket and 30% fat thinking the ground would be pretty lean.

WELL. I now know what love tastes like!

The most tender juicy fall apart burger I have ever had. It is a special occasion burger for sure. Rich. Sometimes less is more, but not tonight. I could just see it being too much if you tried to make them your everyday burger.

Sorry, no pictures. I was too excitable.

Camp food from a couple of dinners last week. Cheese burgers with baked beans one night. Sous Vide baby backs with potato salad that turned out pretty good. Could have gone an hour or so longer in the bath but finished on a tiny portable grill for a nice dinner. We try to eat well while being lazy and enjoying the scenery.

IMG_1631.jpegIMG_1633.jpegIMG_1683.jpegIMG_1684.jpegIMG_3137.jpeg

Camp food from a couple of dinners last week. Cheese burgers with baked beans one night. Sous Vide baby backs with potato salad that turned out pretty good. Could have gone an hour or so longer in the bath but finished on a tiny portable grill for a nice dinner. We try to eat well while being lazy and enjoying the scenery.

View attachment 112404View attachment 112405View attachment 112406View attachment 112407View attachment 112408
But what were you drinking??

View attachment 112404View attachment 112405View attachment 112406View attachment 112407View attachment 112408

Sous vide while camping - winner!!

My own philosophy and everyone else's mileage may vary. You can grill on a grill. You can put a griddle addition on your grill for griddling. You can griddle on a griddle, but can you grill on a griddle?

I have a Blackstone table top propane griddle that does a great job on burgers, veggies, eggs, bacon, hot dogs, and similar items. I like it. But it does not replace a grill. After having it a couple of years, I think I'd rather opt for a griddle that you can simply place on a grill, rather than buying a separate product.

I have a Blackstone table top propane griddle that does a great job on burgers, veggies, eggs, bacon, hot dogs, and similar items. I like it. But it does not replace a grill. After having it a couple of years, I think I'd rather opt for a griddle that you can simply place on a grill, rather than buying a separate product.
I agree. I have a regular propane grill and a collection of toppers / griddles that I use as needed. I've also got some silicon grill mats that cover a large portion of the grill which work well.

Thank you @Boatboy24, @bstnh1 and @winemaker81. I was a little concerned about the point that you all made, i.e. the lack of versatility on the flat griddles. As I continued my search, I saw the griddle plates that were available for gas grills and thought that might be a better avenue. I was not aware of the silicone grill mats. Interesting for both grilling and baking in an oven.

Since you were all so helpful, let me ask if you were going to buy a gas grill, which would you choose? Bear in mind that we rarely grill, there are normally only two of us, I don't want to spend a lot and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I see that prices on various brands vary widely and the "name" brands are really high. Is there a good store brand that would do the job? Thanks.

I purchased one of these for my gasser to make smash burgers etc. It fits my gas grill perfectly and is very well made.

https://www.amazon.com/SQ180-Stainl...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Thank you @Boatboy24, @bstnh1 and @winemaker81. I was a little concerned about the point that you all made, i.e. the lack of versatility on the flat griddles. As I continued my search, I saw the griddle plates that were available for gas grills and thought that might be a better avenue. I was not aware of the silicone grill mats. Interesting for both grilling and baking in an oven.

Since you were all so helpful, let me ask if you were going to buy a gas grill, which would you choose? Bear in mind that we rarely grill, there are normally only two of us, I don't want to spend a lot and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I see that prices on various brands vary widely and the "name" brands are really high. Is there a good store brand that would do the job? Thanks.
The latest reviews from Consumer Reports shows the Weber to (still) be best in class. That said they are also the most expensive in class. The best bang for the buck outside of Weber appears to be a new(er) brand on the market "Monument Grills" which are available at Home Depot and Wayfair. They come in many sizes and are very reasonably priced compared to a Weber.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoor...opane-Grills/Monument-Grills/N-5yc1vZc5t2Zgf4

I look at reviews when getting ready to buy. I don't buy top end, as the prices are ridiculous. I also don't buy bottom end as they rust out too fast.

Latest posts

Back