Difference between sirah and syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Syrah (note spelling) and Shiraz are the same grape. According to Wiki...
DNA profiling in 1999 found Syrah to be the offspring of two obscure grapes from southeastern France, Dureza and Mondeuse Blanche.

Petite Sirah (again note the spelling) is another grape. Again according to Wiki...
Syrah should not be confused with Petite Sirah, a synonym for Durif, a cross of Syrah with Peloursin dating from 1880.

Steve

Yes, I made a blend of Petite Sirah and Barbera (2/3 Barbera, 1/3 Petite Sirah, I think, it might have been the reverse) from fresh grapes in 2010. Very dark color, very rich, lots of tannin, plum is the prominent flavor, fruitiness is gradually fading as it ages, goes great with steaks and red meat if it breathes for about 1/2 hour or is decanted. Not too many kits of Petite Sirah are available, I believe, so are you looking for grapes or using a kit?

As mentioned already, Syrah and Shiraz are the same grape. The difference is in the style of the resulting wine.

Shiraz, is a little bigger, normally a little more ABV. It is also usually more fruity and less minerally. Of course this is a generalization only, as wines made from the same variety from neighboring vineyards/wineries can be very different.

Shiraz is typically from Australia; Syrah hails from France. However, either style can be made most anywhere.

I made a Petite Syrah from grapes and it came out really nice. I must say the best Petite Ive ever had though was from another member here who goes by the name of Rock. He freaking nailed 1 as good as they come although having the big barrel makes a world of difference. Maybe mine could have come out as good but we'll never know.

The Canuck call them Shiraz . Just like being like the Aussies. I guess. In the Yakima Valley it still Syrah. But some vineyards call some of the wine Shiraz for sales purpose.

Bartman said:
Yes, I made a blend of Petite Sirah and Barbera (2/3 Barbera, 1/3 Petite Sirah, I think, it might have been the reverse) from fresh grapes in 2010. Very dark color, very rich, lots of tannin, plum is the prominent flavor, fruitiness is gradually fading as it ages, goes great with steaks and red meat if it breathes for about 1/2 hour or is decanted. Not too many kits of Petite Sirah are available, I believe, so are you looking for grapes or using a kit?

Wine expert has a limited edition kit that i was thinking of making. How long did you aged it for?

Back