Degassing issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
I was having issues with my last couple of batches of wine not being degassed enough and being a little on the fizzy side. All of my other batches came out perfect. I couldn't figure out what happened until I started searching on this site. Found out the room I was making my wine in was too cold. I moved my wine into another room that is about 10 degrees warmer and what do you know, my wine started bubbling again. How long will take to degass completely? I have racked it twice using my allinone wine pump.

If it started to bubble again - you may be going thru Malo ?
If that is the case you just have to sit and wait till it completes its process - do you have any more specific details ??

The temp of the room the wine was in is approximately in the low 60's. I moved it in to a room about 70 degrees. The last time I racked the wine was on 3/31/13. I have about 16 gallon of other wines that did not do anything since I moved them. They are about a year old. Again, last racked 3/31.

Are there tiny bubbles in the wine if you take a flashlight to it ? similar to fermentation - but at a much smaller degree ?

I am thinking that you are going thru malo ??

I checked the wine and all but three carboys have bubbles in the wine. Not sure what this means.you mentioned malo. Is it bad for the wine?

He is refering to MLF (malolactic fermentation) in which malic acids convert into more "pleasant" to the mouth lactic acids).
That process sometimes happens on itself depending if the right conditions are present or it can be "induced" by adding a proper bacteria to get the process going.

Do a search here and you'll find lots of posts to read.

In your case, if it was me I'd try to rack and degas the wine in the warmer room one more time to make sure it is really degassed. Then watch for signs of bubbles.

Thanks. Good advice. That is pretty much what I planned on. My first thought when i was making my wine room was to store and make my wine in the same room. Basically a cellar/winery in one, but of coarse I don't think that is possible at this point.

Considering the wine is approx 1 year old - I really doubt that it is a CO2 issue -
More than likely it is Malolactic fermentation - there are test kits to see if it is going thru malo or not -
I would definitely check out other threads on it

Hmm, I used to think that a one year old wine could not have co2 also. But my latest batch a blueberry skeeter pee has been sitting since Feb. It was perfectly clear. I added sugar and had a volcano of bubbles erupt out if it. I have not vacuum racked this one. I was surprised. Now I know that co2 can hang out for a good long while.

To answer your question.... Perfect scenario would be to have a wine room at 55 to 60 all year round.... With good humidity. But.... I have read some keeping their wine as high as 70 degrees. But more important try to keep the same temp all year round! No fluctuating. And dark..... I use Bachus for Malo... There are other good ones but don't use Scott's ... Way to hard too get to work!

Latest posts

Back