Degassed wine now cloudy again after back sweetening. HELP!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the way WE has you do their kits. Primary in bucket, rack to carboy (leave thickest sediment) to finish AF. Stir it all up, degas, add KMS and clearing agents, let sit. It works.....

Would love to get your thoughts based on these instructions. Wondering if it's me wrong or it.

Hi

Step 1 is done in bucket.
5 to 7 days, Rack to carboy let finish fermenting, then...

10 to 14 days later (usually) gets you at the correct Sg 0.996 or less,- DON'T RACK-. First you need to stabilize which is metabisulphite , sorbate, stirring to remove CO2 gas, if no F-pack then go adding finning agent, stir again (degassing). Seal or replace bung with airlock and let sit for 14 days.

After this check to see if it cleared, if not wait until it does clear, when it clears you want to be gentle if you have to move the carboy, if you move it and it disturbs the lees or sediment leave a day or so, and let it settle back down, then you can (leaving sediment behind) , bottle your wine.
The main thing is do not stir again, after stirring at degassing and adding your packages. you do not stir again if you do you have to wait until it clears before you bottle.

Hope this helps and I hope I didn't misunderstand you post.

Thanks

Last edited:
laceyogden

Hi
If you are using the fast fermenter with the collection ball this is probably the way to do it.

Do step one, after adding yeast let ferment 5 to 7 days. At 1.010 drop the sediment.
Let sit 10 to 14 days. Your wanting a Sg at 0.996 or less at this reading ADD your packets while degassing if you have F-pack add ,if not add clearing agent (stir out gas) degassing. Let it sit for 14 days, if clear drop sediment ,if not clear, leave 7 more days. If clear drop out sediment at ball. At this time you should be able to bottle.

These Fast Fermenters will have advantages and disadvantages. You will have to learn them.
The disadvantage will be at the 14th day of clearing(needing to take a clean sample of your wine,(to see if it is clear) because your ball will have sediment in it, you would need to do this from the top, BUT if you open the top you introduce oxygen.) So this is a disadvantage, making you drop a little more wine from the ball. Which will make your first bottle be cloudy, which could be filtered and drank by you while you bottle. Which would be an advantage to me lol.
So if your wine is still sitting in the fast fermenter , let it sit and clear, when it is clear, drop sediment from ball, then bottle.
If you need help ask there are very smart people on this forum.

Billpizzaiolo uses two of these fast fermenters he would be very a knowledgeable person to ask.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
So if I get a sample from the top, it is clear but from the bottom, it is still very murky. I will put the collection ball back on and dump that amount and see if it's clear after that.

So if I get a sample from the top, it is clear but from the bottom, it is still very murky. I will put the collection ball back on and dump that amount and see if it's clear after that.

Do you have a glass carboy, if so what size?

Sure don't... Just the fast ferment system that our brew shop recommended over the glass carboys.

Ok reading back thru the post I stopped here, where you say you get a sample from the top. If you did by opening the lid, and it's not ready to bottle, you will probably want to get some Private Preserve from you local brewery store. I believe it's around 10 bucks, and spray it into the top to force the oxygen out, and replace lid, and wait till it clears then bottle. I have not used one of these fermenters, so I am in the dark and assuming you have to open lid for upper access. Don't get discouraged you'll figure out how to "get er done". Hope I'm helping and not hindering.

If I'm hindering please let me know, and we will find more knowledgeable help.

Last edited:

What did you find out? What answers were hidden inside the ball? Kinda like fortune telling. The curiosity is getting the best of me.
I'm thinking about getting one of these fermenters.

Thanks

So, I reattached the collection ball and allowed for it to fill up and I ended up dumping it. There was just a small amount of sediment but it was very murky. I then took a sample from the bottom and it was clear so I think it needed to just be racked before bottling. I will probably leave it for another week or so before bottling just to be sure. I highly recommend the FastFerment though... It's been so easy and fun to use!

So, I reattached the collection ball and allowed for it to fill up and I ended up dumping it. There was just a small amount of sediment but it was very murky. I then took a sample from the bottom and it was clear so I think it needed to just be racked before bottling. I will probably leave it for another week or so before bottling just to be sure. I highly recommend the FastFerment though... It's been so easy and fun to use!

Thank you!!

Back