day 2 of fermentation and 1st problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premedwine

Junior
Reaction score
Its been 24 hrs since my first day of fermentation. Yesterday was 1.080 and today is right at 1.030. Im a day early on what I was shooting for. I dont know if temp had anything to do with this. Im about 2 degrees hotter then what i started. Im right at 79 which is hotter then I wanted. Not sure if the energy from the yeast is heating it up or my part. do I go ahead and move it to secondary. Its still fizzy a little bit to but not as much as last night. thanks everyone.

IMG_1870.jpg

The wine will naturally heat up a few degrees during peak fermentation. I'd wait to go to secondary a little longer, as long as it's under airlock. 1.030 is a little high for my taste - I'd feel safer closer to 1.010, assuming you plan to ferment dry.

no airlock yet. Just the lid and fine mesh cloth over the small hole. This is my first batch ever. Im still learning. My kit said to move to secondary when it reached 1.030 (about 3 days) and to apply airlock when I go to secondary glass carboy but Im up for anything you guys suggest. I'm a day early according to the kit.

I rapidly stir mine to drive out the CO2 and splash rack at about 1.020 then add the airlock. Mine will heat up to 78 - 80 in the primary with no problems.

just gave it a rapid stir. I have been kind of easy on the stirring. Its fizzing like crazy now.

Premed, I would x-fer it to secondary when the SG goes below 1.020. You are moving along very nicely so it is probably below that level now. Make sure you put it in a carboy under airlock and leave some head space at the top if is is still actively bubbling. Keep any residual in another bottle, also under airlock. Good luck.

I guess thats my next question. How many inches from the top should i fill the carboy. 2 in max?

also I have the mini auto siphon. I have an extra L shaped tube that just like the one inside the siphon thats about 4 in longer. What is that for since i will more than likely be doing this tonight.

It's a racking cane that probably came in your kit. Did you order the auto siphon extra when you ordered your kit? From the bottom of the neck I would leave about 3 inches. It looks like from your pic that it foamed up a little.

Good luck with your first batch

BOB

well SG just dropped to 1.018. I went ahead and transferred it to the secondary carboy with air lock. its letting a bubble out at every second. I guess everything is ok. Only bad part is i have a half gallon of wine still in the primary and no where to put it.

Premed, if you can, get some 1500 ml bottles and put a ballon with a small pin hole over the top until you can get airlocks and stoppers.

Latest posts

Back