Curious about corn syrup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
I am wonder if corn syrup like Karo's instead of simple syrup would also add to the mouth feel of wine?
Would that type of sugar tend to cloud the wine?

Last edited:
Sammyk, not sure what would happen with that but looking at the ingredients of the ligth corn syrup, it contains vanilla and salt. The dark syrup has all that plus some other things, including molasses. I would not think you could go very far wrong by trying it on a bottle or two. May turn into something good, may not.

Sugars shouldn't cloud the wine. They should dissolve clear just fine. That being said you need to be careful about other additives in commercial sugar products. For example, powdered sugar sometimes has anti-caking agents added to it.

Karo's corn syrup may have more fructose than glucose and it could taste sweeter so you might need less. I believe corn syrup also has a significant amount of maltose in it. I'm not sure what the effects of maltose would be in the taste/feel of wine.

Not sure about the Kayo, but the corn sugar we sell is pure Dextrose. Stay away from the powdered sugar there are additives in that. It will cloud the wine.

I have mentioned in other posts that I do use corn syrup in my fruit wines when backsweetening. I use a bottle per 5 gallon of wine and then switch to regular sugar for any additional sweetening that would be needed. I have found not ill effects or any off tastes in my wines.

Karo is corn syrup. It's not "just" corn sugar, though Karo is made from a blend of sugars from cornstarch and 15 to 20 percent glucose.

Karo Light Corn Syrup:
Ingredients: Light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla.

Karo dark corn syrup is a mixture of corn syrup and a small amount of refiners' syrup (a cane sugar product with a molasses-like flavor). Caramel flavor, sodium benzoate (a preservative), salt, and caramel color are added.

Be advised, Dark Karo is used to correct constipation in infants....that would be a sight at the next party, all of your guests running for the toilet...LOL!

Does anyone think it would add to the mouth feel?

I am going to experiment but am mostly just wondering what others have found.

I have mentioned in other posts that I do use corn syrup in my fruit wines when backsweetening. I use a bottle per 5 gallon of wine and then switch to regular sugar for any additional sweetening that would be needed. I have found not ill effects or any off tastes in my wines.

Julie - which specific brand(s) do you use? Do you use it 1:1 with cane sugar, or a different ratio?

Julie - which specific brand(s) do you use? Do you use it 1:1 with cane sugar, or a different ratio?

I use Karo but I have used Walmart's brand and haven't notice a difference. I take some wine warm it up add the bottle of corn syrup, still until dissolved, add it to the wine. I take a taste and if not sweet enough for that particular wine I take out some more wine and use regular sugar to backsweeten to the level I want. I have never used more that a bottle of corn syrup to a 5 or 6 gallon batch. The mouth feel is awesome. And like I said before I notice no off tastes in my wine.

I wouldn't think so once it's all dissolved, but I've never tried it.

While corn syrup cannot become as thick as it normally would be before blending with another liquid, it does thicken the liquid up enough to give it a better mouth feel.

I use Karo but I have used Walmart's brand and haven't notice a difference. I take some wine warm it up add the bottle of corn syrup, still until dissolved, add it to the wine. I take a taste and if not sweet enough for that particular wine I take out some more wine and use regular sugar to backsweeten to the level I want. I have never used more that a bottle of corn syrup to a 5 or 6 gallon batch. The mouth feel is awesome. And like I said before I notice no off tastes in my wine.

Julie,

What is the size bottle that you use with 5 gal??? Also, have you used that with Strawberry? I need something to sweeten 5 gal of strawberry.

Julie,

What is the size bottle that you use with 5 gal??? Also, have you used that with Strawberry? I need something to sweeten 5 gal of strawberry.

750ml and yes it will work with your strawberry.

Last edited:
Poormanfarm if you are also lacking flavor try Torani Syrups, flavor plus sugar.

Not sure where you live but Wal-Mart here in NC carries some in their stores. Or you can order on line.

Look for extracts too that are natural and not artificial. I found them at Olive Nation on line.

Poormanfarm if you are also lacking flavor try Torani Syrups, flavor plus sugar.

Not sure where you live but Wal-Mart here in NC carries some in their stores. Or you can order on line.

Look for extracts too that are natural and not artificial. I found them at Olive Nation on line.

SammyK I think my flavor is going to be ok this year. I made everything from pure juice. Hardly any water. I think my challenge this year is going to be balancing the wines with flavor, sweetness and body. I am not too far from where you are so I will check the out the Wal-mart sometime in the future. Thanks for the suggestions.

I have added it to my Blackberry and my Blackberry rocks! I, also add Hungarian Oak to my Blackberry.

How much sweetness does the corn syrup add

Hi Julie, You say you might add a bottle (750 ccs) of karo to 5 gallons of wine. If the wine is at 990, what is the SG after it has been mixed in?

Hi Julie, You say you might add a bottle (750 ccs) of karo to 5 gallons of wine. If the wine is at 990, what is the SG after it has been mixed in?

Sorry Bernard but I didn't record the sg after the karo, I normally add table sugar as well to get my sg where I want it.

Latest posts

Back