Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flame145

Reaction score
I have a bag of corks that are at least 5 years old. Do corks go bad ???
Should I buy new ones to bottle. Don't want to bottle with old corks, then find out I shouldn't have. Thanks.

real cork dries out...usually within 3-4 months and then i would prefer to use only if the wine would be a quick drinker

Use them for a skeeter pee and keep the bottles upright. If they are synthetic they are probably good as long as they were keep in a clean cool environment.

real cork dries out...usually within 3-4 months and then i would prefer to use only if the wine would be a quick drinker

So I take it there is no way to rehydrate them. How do I know the corks I buy from supply house are new or old.
I guess I can't soak in sulfite solution ??? The cork are real corks # 9, 1 3/4 long, They are the over runs.

"So I take it there is no way to rehydrate them. How do I know the corks I buy from supply house are new or old.
I guess I can't soak in sulfite solution ??? The cork are real corks # 9, 1 3/4 long, They are the over runs. "

we are speaking of real cork here.....there is no way to really know what a supply house sells you...you have to go by reputation and prior history....reputable places wont be in business long if you have problems.

have you tried putting them in a bottle? are they breaking easy?

you certainly could try soaking them in a sulfite solution...teh effort wont cost you much but time

"So I take it there is no way to rehydrate them. How do I know the corks I buy from supply house are new or old.
I guess I can't soak in sulfite solution ??? The cork are real corks # 9, 1 3/4 long, They are the over runs. "

we are speaking of real cork here.....there is no way to really know what a supply house sells you...you have to go by reputation and prior history....reputable places wont be in business long if you have problems.

have you tried putting them in a bottle? are they breaking easy?

you certainly could try soaking them in a sulfite solution...teh effort wont cost you much but time

Yes, they are real cork. I did run a couple through my floor corker, just to see how it went. They seem to be holding up OK. You think I could give them a soak in sulfite solution. I was going to use them for a wine that probably won't last longer than 2 months on my wine rack.

Latest posts

Back