Cold Soaking Petite Sirah???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because it's 2 years since the last posting. JohnT can speak for himself. But, I think he was being funny. I mean, I laughed... Mostly because I've unknowingly revived a zombie thread a few times myself. Stuff happens. We "oops" and move on.

Did you mean JohnT or johnD??

It is a real shame that he was banned.

Do not get me wrong, there is no call for direct insults. It is very easy for someone to lose it when egos and passions are in the mix. I do not think that johnd was trying to insult lechat, but apparently that is how he took it and lechat reacted in a very inappropriate way and a banning was called for. It just seems so unfortunate.

I guess what I am asking is this.. Does anyone feel like this might never have happened if we were a little kinder in calling him out? Perhaps? perhaps not? IDK.

Did you mean JohnT or johnD??

It is a real shame that he was banned.

Do not get me wrong, there is no call for direct insults. It is very easy for someone to lose it when egos and passions are in the mix. I do not think that johnd was trying to insult lechat, but apparently that is how he took it and lechat reacted in a very inappropriate way and a banning was called for. It just seems so unfortunate.

I guess what I am asking is this.. Does anyone feel like this might never have happened if we were a little kinder in calling him out? Perhaps? perhaps not? IDK.

Yes, it was me, not JohnT, and I certainly was not personally attacking lechat or his position regarding cold soaking. There was no unkindness intended in my comment, and I still do not read any into even now. Perhaps my wit was a bit dry, but indeed, a lot of effort went into the post, and he probably didn't realize it was two years old. I've commented on old threads and not been offended when it was pointed out to me.
Had he said "yes, it's an old thread, but I'd like to debate the validity of the information based on my research", a healthy discussion would have proceeded, as it always does here. Calling me a troll and telling me to "go **** myself" violated the forum rules, stifled the conversation, and got him banned, that was his choice. If anyone feels my comment was in poor taste, I apologize.

Just to add some clarity, and give credit where due, I got a very nice note from lechat that I don't think he'd mind me sharing a clip from it. Apparently he misread my post and said:

"I misread your initial reply. I read "Wow, that's a lot of research and typing for a two year old TO post" instead of "Wow, that's a lot of research and typing for a two year old post."

It seems that he thought I was referring to him as a two year old, not to the post as being two years old. I'd have been ticked off too.

Perhaps one of our moderators could reconsider the ban??

I didn't say YOU beat your wife.

I didn't say you beat YOUR wife.

Easy to misread typing without voice infliction...two statements above are exactly the same words...two different meanings. I had a small one LETTER mistake in an text message (should have said SEND instead of SENT).....SENT, everybody thought I had handled the problem...wrong...I wanted the office to send the customer an email...kinda got nasty before it got funny.

Couldn't this be a similar condition? I mean what does **** really mean? I don't like bans. I do like a good verbal tennis match!

Couldn't this be a similar condition? I mean what does **** really mean? I don't like bans. I do like a good verbal tennis match!

When **** pops up, it's usually because the forum software censored the word you actually used. I'm pretty sure he actually said that word that starts in "F" and ends in "U-C-K"... and I don't mean 'firetruck.'

You can't last on a forum (any forum) with thin skin and a willingness to go from zero-to-'screw you' at the drop of a hat. Be nice. It's not that hard.

My two bits: This isn't my house. I'm a guest here. So, if the homeowner says he'd prefer if I didn't smoke cigars in his living room, I'm obliged to obey or go elsewhere. By the same token, if I didn't know that I couldn't smoke my cigar indoors, a simple, "please don't do that here," is in order. I'll stop. No need to kick me out.

It is very easy to misread a post and get angry. When I do, especially if I've been drinking, which is often, I try and not reply until the next day and most times I find no need to reply because I took the comment/suggestion wrong. There was a post a while back on the kit thread touting all grape wine making, I took it wrong and posted things I shouldn't have. Since then I try and follow my own advice above.

I have to watch when I'm kidding around on here since most of you don't know me, if you did, you'd realize how full of crap I usually am.

It is very easy to misread a post and get angry. When I do, especially if I've been drinking, which is often, I try and not reply until the next day and most times I find no need to reply because I took the comment/suggestion wrong. There was a post a while back on the kit thread touting all grape wine making, I took it wrong and posted things I shouldn't have. Since then I try and follow my own advice above.

I have to watch when I'm kidding around on here since most of you don't know me, if you did, you'd realize how full of crap I usually am.

LOL!! I was a part of that grape thingy on the kit section of the forum. Wonder if I have two strikes now?? I'm a pretty easy going jokester type, though I'm pretty serious about my winemaking and drinking. Learned long ago the perils of written words, whether in an email, text, forum, it's easy to take or be taken out of context, but that's how we have to communicate here.

Latest posts

Back