Chilean Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up my Chilean grapes from Harford yesterterday. Cab Sav is good, brix 25. Syrah is a bit moldy, 20% of the clusters has mold or some fungal damage, brix 22.

Picked my order up from Harford on Saturday also. Teresa is an amazing woman. Obviously had a rough day/evening on Friday, but still got an early tasting set up for my wife. Both buckets I picked up were in great condition, juice just needed some ice in a tall glass, very good. Grapes were in very good condition also. One lug each of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec. Pinot Grigio bucket is showing signs of life after pitching yeast after lunch. Will pitch yeast in Merlot bucket w/grapes later this evening.

Very nice people at Harford, will visit again soon.

Happy Mom's day to all those hard working Mom's out there!

Heatherd, how are the carmenere grapes? I'm getting some this week too. Do you blend it with anything

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

Just called my local (Corrado's).

They are now saying that the grapes might not come in until Monday or Tuesday of NEXT week. ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!

They're killing my schedule.:slp

You and me brother.

What makes it hard is that I received a notice from them on May 9th saying that the juice and grapes will be in "by May 14th". My niece put in for a day off from work and now it is too late for her to change things. Now she is stuck with a day off and nothing to do.

This also pushes our crush into memorial day weekend and pressing into my Wife's "Birthday Weekend". There is gonna be hell to pay on that one.

They did say that there would be a "Slim Chance" that the grapes will be in for this weekend. I have my doubts, but still have some hope.

They did tell me to call again today. I will keep you posted.

Heatherd, how are the carmenere grapes? I'm getting some this week too. Do you blend it with anything

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

The Carmenere grapes are lovely!! I added a lug to a pail of Carmenere juice.

Used RC212 as my yeast and pitched VP41 MLB concurrently.

Are you blending?

Heather

Heather,

Yes, I'm gonna ferment seperatly then blend 77% carmenere with 15% cab Sauv and 8% Malbec for a total of about 12-13 finished gallons of wine.

I'm also going to make a 21 gallon blend of 89% Malbec and 11% cab Sauv.

I pick up the grapes tomorrow.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

Mixttibsk

The Carmenere grapes are lovely!! I added a lug to a pail of Carmenere juice.

Used RC212 as my yeast and pitched VP41 MLB concurrently.

Are you blending?

Heather

Have you pitched the RC212 and the VP41 together before?? I'm curious because I will be doing MLF on this batch for the first time and I was under the impression that the preferred method was to pitch the MLB after the must was racked off the gross lees???:?

Was there any damage to the grapes due to the Volcano eruption?

That's a good thought. But again, don't some of the wine makers boast their grapes grown on volcanic soil as plus? So does volcanic ash have the same effect? ;-)

Last edited:
Have you pitched the RC212 and the VP41 together before?? I'm curious because I will be doing MLF on this batch for the first time and I was under the impression that the preferred method was to pitch the MLB after the must was racked off the gross lees???:?

There's no problem with pitching both yeast and MLB at the same time, based on my experience and research. The important thing when doing so is that you need to omit all kmeta until MLF is complete.

What is your batch going to be?

Heather

Was there any damage to the grapes due to the Volcano eruption?

When you posted this originally, I looked into it. The eruption was pretty far south. It HAS affected some grape-growing regions. However, it has not affected the MAJOR grape-growing regions, which are much farther north.

There's no problem with pitching both yeast and MLB at the same time, based on my experience and research. The important thing when doing so is that you need to omit all kmeta until MLF is complete
What is your batch going to be?

Heather

I'll be going with a Syrah/Shiraz again although this time I'll be going with BM4X4 and VP41. I used either EC1118 or Premiere Curve last time around and this will be my first MLF. :D

Chlien grape juice

Has anybody been given an update on when the grapes might come in?
Just picked up 2 6gal. pails of Chilien Viognier juice from Gino Pintos located in south Jersey. This
Will be my first white wine and am excited to try it out. What is the biggest difference in making white wine from juice compared to the reds I'v been making. I use two carboys and ferment the wine for about 11 months before bottling.

Chlien juice

Just picked up 2 6gal. pails of Chlien Viognier juice from Gino Pintos located in south Jersey. This
Will be my first white wine and am excited to try it out. What is the biggest difference in making white wine from juice compared to the reds I'v been making. I use two carboys and ferment the wine for about 11 months before bottling. I typically rack one time to clear the sediment.

dvizz,

The biggest difference is that you do not need to macerate (leave the juice on the skins). The process is simpler, but tougher to get right IMHO.

I also feel that Viognier likes a cooler, longer ferment, but that is really just a matter of choice and what you are attempting to achieve.

I also find that clearing a white is more of a pain. Perhaps the is due to the fact that clarity is not as noticeable in reds. As far as racking, I would advise that you rack more often then once and perhaps even plan to do cold stabilization to get it clear. If you have or plan to get a filter, definitely plan to filter your white.

Latest posts

Back