Mosti Mondiale Chile Fresco

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used raisins on my MM Renaissance Italian blends with great success. They did seem to leave a small taste of raisin behind but it worked OK as they were Valpolicella and Nero D' Avola wines. Not sure if that flavor works with much else but others have said they used them and din't mind it. YMMV as they say.

As for the Tancor, that bottle will last a LONG time. I think its like 3 oz or ~100 gms. I use ~4 gm per 6 gallons. sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less deepening on the wine type.

My Chile Fresco Carmenere (with ~1/2 pound raisins added) is moving along nicely, since it was picked up frozen last Wednesday. It took until Saturday evening to get to room temperature, and Sunday morning was buzzing along nicely. By Monday morning it was foaming up pretty good, and now is settling down to a steady fizz. Gone from SG of 1.102 to 1.050 in about three days, so it should be dry by Friday/Saturday. What's the best way to squeeze out those loose floating raisins when I am ready to rack?

Bartman, how does your wine look today. I got my bucket on Wednesday, left it thaw out with just the cover on top and not snapped in. there was no action on saturday morning. i took vacation from sat to yesterday. i think the grape juice is either finished fermentatin or going bad. i see little action there, but no foam.

was i suppose to add yeast?

Those come pre-inoculated with yeast. What is the temp of the must? Do you have a hygrometer? Are you taking readings along the way?

Kanio, how has your bucket come along? I am experiencing a similar problem. It has been at room temp for at least tree days and very little action.

Temp - 75
SG - 1.098

good news ricket. i measured my sg 3 days ago. it is at 77F and 1.01 SG. It smells great and i added the oak. there was still action from the yeast, but very subtle. i will check the sg tonight and report to you.

Kanio, how has your bucket come along? I am experiencing a similar problem. It has been at room temp for at least tree days and very little action.

Temp - 75
SG - 1.098

Huh. Mine fermented out just fine. I racked it two days ago, S.G. was at 1.000-0.998. Racked into carboy with the supplied oak chips - 90-gram and 30-gram packets, I believe. Temp. was about the same - 75-77, I didn't check the must temp. while fermenting. It was 90% done in about 4-5 days. It didn't quite fill the carboy, but with the oak chips and the juice squeezed out of the raisins through a colander, it's pretty close. Ended up transferring a fair bit of sediment, but it's still early.

Were your kits Mosti Mondiale's Chile Frescoes or another brand?

Huh. Mine fermented out just fine. I racked it two days ago, S.G. was at 1.000-0.998. Racked into carboy with the supplied oak chips - 90-gram and 30-gram packets, I believe. Temp. was about the same - 75-77, I didn't check the must temp. while fermenting. It was 90% done in about 4-5 days. It didn't quite fill the carboy, but with the oak chips and the juice squeezed out of the raisins through a colander, it's pretty close. Ended up transferring a fair bit of sediment, but it's still early.

Were your kits Mosti Mondiale's Chile Frescoes or another brand?

I bought the Chile Frescoes from George. that is the kit i am talking about. I got the charnay and Semillion blend.

I have our Chardonnay/Semillon in secondary and after a few days of marathon fermentation it is down to 1.002 .... we are not adding the oak to ours.
We tried several different Chardonnays and liked only the un oaken varieties.

Bartman - I am surprised it didn't fill the carboy ours filled the six gallon carboy plus a bottles worth.
Ricket - Our wine didn't seem to be doing anything for the first 3 days or so but I aerated it a few times and it took off nicely :)

I am going to rack at .998 ... I will try to remember to post pics!

Thanks for the reply guys. Finally mine took off. I did order mine through George as well. I had never had a fermentation take that long to get started before and since I didn't actually add the yeast myself I started getting edgy. Right now it is fermenting like a rock star filling my basement with the sweat smell of working yeast. When I rack to the carboy I will post something up.

I have our Chardonnay/Semillon in secondary and after a few days of marathon fermentation it is down to 1.002 .... we are not adding the oak to ours.
We tried several different Chardonnays and liked only the un oaken varieties.

Bartman - I am surprised it didn't fill the carboy ours filled the six gallon carboy plus a bottles worth.
Ricket - Our wine didn't seem to be doing anything for the first 3 days or so but I aerated it a few times and it took off nicely :)

I am going to rack at .998 ... I will try to remember to post pics!

Tony, what is OG you have? I forgot to obtain it in the beginning.

did you add raisin?

We tried several different Chardonnays and liked only the un-oaken varieties.

I would save those oak chips for anohter kit down the road - they should be good for at least 2-3 years in the package; you may find some kit or juice that would do well with a little extra oaking.

The Carmenere juice would have filled one of my Better Bottle carboys, but my glass carboy is more like 6.5 gal. It'll be ok - it was still giving off some tiny bubbles (of CO2) when I gave it a little shake a couple days ago. I will probably rack it in 4-6 weeks, after I free up a Better Bottle carboy:r.

Bartman, do you plan to add the citric acid, sulfite, sorbate, and clearing agent? or you just going to let it clear by itself? i wonder what is the citric acid is for?

I didn't see this post until now - I don't plan on adding any fining agents or acid. I am still bulk aging - it's ready for a second racking, when I will add some sulfite. Probably age it another 2-3 months and then bottle - I'll need the carboy for fresh grapes wine around the first of Nov.!! Woo-hoo!

I didn't see this post until now - I don't plan on adding any fining agents or acid. I am still bulk aging - it's ready for a second racking, when I will add some sulfite. Probably age it another 2-3 months and then bottle - I'll need the carboy for fresh grapes wine around the first of Nov.!! Woo-hoo!

Thanks Bartman. i screwed up my batch. i added few stainless steel ball bearing to sink the oak. unfortunately, the wine still attacked the stainless steel and runied the batch. i am eyeing George's Oct grape sale.

I am looking into getting a bucket or two of Chile Fresco in a few months when they are available. How are the buckets in this thread coming along?

I am looking into getting a bucket or two of Chile Fresco in a few months when they are available. How are the buckets in this thread coming along?

My Carmenere is about 1/3 gone already! It's pretty good stuff in my opinion, for everyday drinking. Not as heavy a body as I'd prefer, but still okay, especially for a Carmenere which isn't known for a lot of body, anyway.

Good nose, good flavor, nicely balanced. Might have used a bit more oak, but I didn't have carboy room to age it with more oak for a few more months (back in November/December).

At $140 per bucket plus the drive to pick it up or paying to ship it would ya'll say it's worth it? After seeing prices of Chilean juice from the northeast at about $50 I figured the price on these would be lower.

Are these anything more than your average Chilean juice bucket? What drives the price to that of a premium kit when you can get juice buckets for $50?

Back