Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Appleman,

Very nice indeed.............................

Getting paid to do something you might do for free..........

Appleman,
Congrats! And please do post your research. It sounds like a wonderfully interesting project.

Conrats, Appleman. We have a celeb in our midst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to read your research.

To our wise and wonderful APPLEMAN
Happy Grant $$$$$$$ 2U
Happy Grant $$$$$$$ 2U
Happy Grant $$$$$$$ 2UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Happy Grant $$$$$$$ 2U
and many many many more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure we all will become wiser because of the 'wise one'.

Thanx Appleman and good luck on your project!!

rrawhide
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

In case anybody is interested in seeing some of the wines from last fall, here are some of them. I can't show them all........................

Here is a shot of some of the whites. Most of them are very clear, but the LaCrosse has a bit of haze to it. The pictures aren't all really clear because the lighting is terrible in there. Anyways here they are.

20090320_071525_100_4882_Medium.jpg

This is the Chardonel
20090320_071642_100_4888_Medium.jpg

Here is looking through one at the label on the one behind it. The upper one is through a 6 gallon carboy.
20090320_071821_100_4887_Medium.jpg

Here is St. Pepin- the upper label is behind the front carboy
20090320_072009_100_4889_Medium.jpg

Here are a few reds. Lots more where these came from.....
20090320_072129_100_4885_Medium.jpg

It is starting to warm up enough some days now that I noticed a couple carboys that hadn't finished MLF yet are starting to get the tiny bubbles again. Grab a straw and sample a bit through your modems!
smiley4.gif

Al Fulchino said:
looks great Rich..i am attempting to count the gallonage right now ;)

Its for sure over a hundred. I cant tell ifin those are 5 or 6 gallon carboys. I do see two 3 gallon carboys.

I am only showing wine for the sake of showing it to you. No bragging, no counting, no tasting. I will say since there is two or more adults in the household,that I am able to make 200 gallons of wine in NYS. I will say that it is all made from my own grapes, something I take great pride in. Some wines are good, some wines are great and some wines are just plain, less than great, but they are all mine. I am housing a few carboys of wine that belong to my sister and a nephew. They like Catawba and he gave me a few carboys, so I filled them up with juice and they let them turn into Catawba fermented juice!
smiley4.gif

They all look great Grapeman, would love to sample some of those whites, you've done great with the vinyard!
smiley20.gif

Thanks JW. Some day in the future, you may get a visit from the "Men (and women) in Brown". Of course you are always welcome to come on over and share some with me!

The white wineslook like sunshine in a bottle and I bet the reds taste just as good.

Nice job!!

Finally some pruning weather has made it up here. It isn't great, but then I don't want it to push things too quickly. I've pruned a few times now and gotten quite a bit done. I am pruning a bit differently this year on a few varieties. They will become part of my grant project. Last year I still had almost two feet of snow in the vines at this time. It is down to the soil most places with six inch deep mounds between the rows. It must be where it drifted a bit deeper. I came in a bit earlier this evening since it started raining again. Still, it's better than snow!
smiley4.gif

I will put a picture in here tomorrow of this year, but here is one from last year about the same date:

100_3742.jpg

I thought that was all from this year as I always look at the pic first and I was man when did you get all this stuff!

LOL, that's why I started leaving the date on the pictures! It is a lot drier this year. We have only had about 80 inches of snow this year as opposed to 130 inches last year. The snow is gone in the fields out in the open, but then again it is almost April now!

either that snow was frozen solid so that you could walk on it and not sink thru...or you pruned whilst riding a magic carpet

Last year it was frozen solid- you stayed right on top. I took advantage of a bit warmer weather in the sun that day and did what I could. We had a lot of bleeding last year at pruning. I am happy to start sooner this year. The vines are healing up much better I noticed this evening.

Latest posts

Back