CARBOY CAP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyleah

Junior
Reaction score
WOULD ANYONE KNOW IF ITS OK TO BULK AGE A CARBOY OF WINE (THAT HAS BEEN STABILIZED) WITH ONE OF THOSE PLASTIC CARBOY CAPS. IT FITS TIGHT ON THE CARBOY AND THE SMALL CAPS FOR THE NOZZLES ARE TIGHT.

TONY

Tony, I have used them for very short term while waiting on extra bungs and airlocks to arrive in the mail. In my opinion, the seal is not airtight and will not keep out bugs. It is a good thing to bulk age with bungs and airlocks so as to keep expelling CO2.

Better keep your sulphite level good and top up well!

CW,

Thanks for the advise. I have never used a cap, always a bung and an airlock.

I use them while keeping the carboys in temporary storage with some meta slurring at the bottom. Why spend all that money and time to "guess" for a good seal. I had thoughts about using them to "pressure rack to fill my bottles" but soon changed my mind on that as well.

Follow the previous comments of the masters, they have been there.

I bought one of those orange caps for my plastic carboy the other day I
thought it fit great, but now I'll check real good but if it's a
concern I'll just snug it up with a nylon tie strap.

Hey that's a good idea, haven't thought of that one! Thanks stinkie!

Yeah, that is a good idea, I was thinking of a way to test those "oranges thangs" by putting some air through one of the stems and see it it leaks. Kind of a "hairy" idea, mostly worried about the glass exploding..not worthy of the risk.

I didn't know the orange caps fit the glass carboys, I bought one for a 5 gal. plastic carboy I had, but now I'm paranoid about plastic carboys.

Those "orange thangs" snap right onto the glass carboys. I"m still not convinced that they seal well enough to risk the wine and labor though. "Air is like water, it seeks its own level somehow."

I have used them on the carboys during fermentation when I didn't have enough bungs, but not during bulk aging.

I have used them to degas my wines.

They're great little buggers for that!!!!
smiley36.gif

It is such an important tool in winemaking...I can't see making good wine without a tool that relieves all tht stress...the inventor must be a "happy one."

I can't think of the inventor's name, but he posts some on winepress.

Find a need .....they will buy it. Just like pagers, cell-phones, and all that.

I think diaper cream should be in an aerosol canlike Pam nonstick spray.Edited by: Country Wine

Latest posts

Back