Can't find cherry juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry1

Reaction score
Have been looking for cherry juice and cannot find it in a can, glass or plastic jug. Then I thought about canned cherries for making cherry pies. Every store has that. Has anyone tried this and if so, what kind of luck did you have? Has anyone tried making wine with other canned fruits like this? I have vcaseys recipe for peach cobbler meade and I'm going to give that a whirl. However, I do not think I'll have the patience she does before drinking.

You can always use frozen cherries. No secret to patience, just make lots and lots and lots of wine and then make even more. Eventually, you'll have so much you'll forget about what you've made and when looking through your cellar you'll be pleased with your supply.

vcasey said:
You can always use frozen cherries. No secret to patience, just make lots and lots and lots of wine and then make even more. Eventually, you'll have so much you'll forget about what you've made and when looking through your cellar you'll be pleased with your supply.
Thats the truth. I am also at the point where I can go in the basement and just can't decide which one I want. Nothing like having about forty different selections.

Thanks for input. Store flyer came out yesterday and they have cherries on sale for 1.99 a lb. I just got a steam juicer, so I'm figuring on breaking it in in about 2 wks. 5 lbs per gallon enough? Thought I'd make 2 or 3 gallons.

Also got 7 gallons of strawberries at 1.68 per lb. My wife's going to hate me before long.

I always buy extra that way hubby doesn't feel cheated out of his ice cream toppings........

That would be good except I am hubby and I'm encroaching on the wifes domain with my wine forays. If the temp will ever break I have a spot to move all of my stuff, but I need 5 or 6 hours to get this done. It's getting too hot too quick in the mornings. I need to install an a/c and some lights.

Check for preservatives. Most will have some kind of sorbate

Tepe, how do they sorbate fresh fruit? Never heard of this. Truckers moving fresh produce and fruit are always in a hurry to get to market before spoilage.

Jerry1 said:
Tepe, how do they sorbate fresh fruit? Never heard of this. Truckers moving fresh produce and fruit are always in a hurry to get to market before spoilage.

Its JUICE or canned fruitthey are talking about not fresh fruit. Some use preservatives in their juice. Always check.

Walker's in NY sells (or did last time I checked) cherry juice in 5 gallon pails and they told me it was from the tart cherries. I didn't end up buying it so can't give a review.

Wife just came back from the store and brought me 15 lbs. cherries and15 lbs of plums. They're in the freezer as I type this.

Latest posts

Back