Canopy Management

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
Some of my vines are close together and growing over the neighboring vines. ie 24 inches apart. Should I look to thin the vines out next year?

Some of my shoots have more than 2 clusters of grapes. Should I remove the smaller clusters from these shoots?

Some of my shoots have clusters that are a lot more developed than other shoots, they are likely to ripen 3 or 4 weeks before the other clusters. Can I slow down their ripening by reducing the numbers of leaves on the shoots with more developed clusters?

Some of my shoots have lots of leaves, making the canopy very thick. Should I reduce the number of leaves per shoot or cluster to 4, 8 or 12 leaves or just let them carry on growing?

I have cut the shoots with no clusters back to 4 leaves, with a view to perhaps using them as spurs next season. Is this the right thing to do?

(Side note > I bought my vineyards and wine making equipment last year from an octogenarian, whom I thought was retiring from wine making. He called my cellar with less than 1000litres storage his Chapel. I bumped into him 2 days ago, he has not retired from wine making and he introduced me to his Cathedral. The guy must have storage for more than 20000 litres of wine, in barrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! His smallest barrel was 900 litres!!! . Does drinking vast amounts of wine increase your longevity??? )

Some of my vines are close together and growing over the neighboring vines. ie 24 inches apart. Should I look to thin the vines out next year?

Well, it depends on your trellis method. For example, if you are using a DMT (Despicable Me Trellis) system, then you might want to consider increasing density to 12 inches apart to really over shade your neighbor.

Some of my shoots have more than 2 clusters of grapes. Should I remove the smaller clusters from these shoots?

That is one option. Or you can simply remove only the smallest grapes from each cluster.

Some of my shoots have clusters that are a lot more developed than other shoots, they are likely to ripen 3 or 4 weeks before the other clusters. Can I slow down their ripening by reducing the numbers of leaves on the shoots with more developed clusters?

Rather than trying to slow down ripening, which can affect flavors in your wine, consider slowing down your harvest. Sit on a tortoise that is walking down your row. By the time you get to the other end, turn him around and make the return trip. By the time you get to the other end, the slower ripening grapes will be ready to pick.

Some of my shoots have lots of leaves, making the canopy very thick. Should I reduce the number of leaves per shoot or cluster to 4, 8 or 12 leaves or just let them carry on growing?

You should always reduce the number of leaves per cluster by π. It is very important to not remove "approximately" π number of leaves, but exactly π number of leaves. Doing otherwise might result in catastrophe.

I have cut the shoots with no clusters back to 4 leaves, with a view to perhaps using them as spurs next season. Is this the right thing to do?

Yes, I guess you could turn them into spurs, but I am not sure how exactly you will attach them to your cowboy boots.

Does drinking vast amounts of wine increase your longevity???

No. But alcohol is a preservative. So 100 years after you are dead and buried, and they dig you up, you will look as good as the day you died.

Side note: I take no responsibility for anyone taking anything I said seriously. :ib

Side note: I take no responsibility for anyone taking anything I said seriously. :ib
:) Very Funny! I guess will have to take your bottle :iband accept this dialogue is over.
Cordon and cane pruned, I have both in the same vineyards

Last edited:
Back