Can mlf be stopped prematurely

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
I am making a zinfendel ,Italian Cabernet Sauvignon and a Malbec. I had planned on putting all three through mlf but come to find out through this forum that it is a bad idea to mlf my zinfendel due to the fruity characteristics of the wine. My question is can I stop the mlf fermentation prematurely ? or is it to late?

if you use lysozyme just be aware of a very strange reaction to the wine. I did this to a recently mlf'd batch that i added sorbate by mistake.
After lysozyme I got panicked as it seemed to form 'chunks' or very visible sediments on the wall of the carboy and the bottom, it acted like a fining agent but man it scared me thinking I just have messed up that batch.

So basically I should just let it roll and not worry about it. I have no way of cold stabilizing. Will it still taste okay?

personally, if me, I'd leave it alone and don't mess with it.

Where did you read that MLF is no good on a Zinfandel? The folks at Winemakers mag will tell you differently, not to mention the couple of winery websites that you can browse with a quick Google search, that all put their Zinfandels through MLF.
Don't worry about the Zinfandel, it will be fine with a MLF.

Latest posts

Back