Can I combine my wine into one carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I am making an apple-cherry wine...from welch's concentrate...regular old recipe. I usually start this wine in TWO 1 gallon carboys and let it ferment until its no longer vigorous, then combine it into one carboy and airlock it. Does the combining and airlock still need to wait until its at 1005 or so? Its at 1015. What about combining and then waiting until 1005 for airlock? Advice?

I'm a little confused but what you're asking but if you're at 1.015 and combining everything together now, throw an air lock on it and let it ferment out from here. Hope this helps.

?? why ferment in 2 1 gall carboys? you have a 2 gal carboy? Why not ferment in a larger primary and then rack to smaller ones...

:? :slp

When I make a one gallon batch of welchs, there is no fruit, so I ferment it in two 1 gallon glass carboys..half full each. Easier to mess with and it keeps them from overflowing. At some point, I combine them to a single carboy (dump one into the other) and proceed as usual.

Im asking if they are ready to be combined and airlocked at 1015...seems a little high SG for airlocking though. Usually I wait until 1005...but I wondered if it was OK anyway. Does yeast still need access to oxygen? At this point, i have a napkin banded over them.

your fine
I just think its alot of work for 4 bottles especially if you have to waIT 4-6 months to bottle

I have done that before. Started with 2 primaries due to excessive fruit. When I removed the fruit I then combined the two into 1 bucket to finish fermenting.

You could combine into a carboy if you like.

I just think its alot of work for 4 bottles especially if you have to waIT 4-6 months to bottle

I agree. But, I have two 5 gallon glass carboys right now that are waiting for wild grapes in a few months. I want to keep making wine though and I can keep a wide variety on hand and going in 1 gallon with minimal space. Thats pretty much the only reason I do it. I have a pomegranate, apple-cherry, and white grape/raspberry going right now. I try to keep meticulous records of what I did, what went wrong (when it does) etc so I can do the same next time or adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back