WineXpert California Sauvignon Blanc Rosé

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had a dream about trying this wine again and was pleased on how good it was...
I think I'm taking this hobby too far [emoji12]

I don't typically use the sorbate. I only have the Strawberry Watermelon Shiraz to go on. But, the Rose was clean - no hint of that same fake sweet taste.

I only do on wines that have residual sugar. And this is one, unless you ferment the entire f-pack. I know @ibglowin did his that way.

Mine was ready fermented to dry yet tasted like it was off dry. Gave somebody a bottle around 6-8 weeks and they loved it. I think I have around 10 bottles left and its fantastic. I stashed another one in the winery that I snagged on sale. I may may that one off dry this Winter and use the Sorbate so I can compare and contrast (LOL) between the two.

So where is your Specific Gravity line when it comes to sorbate use? I've thought that around 0.996 or greater for a Final Gravity = use the sorbate.

Edit:

The kit arrived yesterday. It's on standby in the basement. Contents:

Juice
Small fpac
Bentonite
EC1118 yeast
Sorbate and Sulfite
Clarifier
Labels

Last edited:
Kicked the Rose off this evening. Dropped half the Fpac and some simple syrup to get a SG of 1.092. ImageUploadedByWine Making1477864386.539432.jpg

It smells fine, but seemed a bit dark before dropping the half of the Fpac. This (below) has me a little concerned. I washed it out of the bag and put it in with the rest. ImageUploadedByWine Making1477864406.654900.jpg

I've never seen residue like this in a kit.

Before I pour the wine juice I always move/press the juice very well around to make sure any residue is back in suspension with the wine, then I pour and add a bit of warm water to it, then pour again into bucket.

Day three and the ferment is active, just not the "chugging along" I typically see.

What is your SG? What is your ambient temperature? I'm guessing it is not as warm as it usually is down there, but that is actually good for a white/rosé, it won't blow off the nice fruity nose like it might if you were all engines full throttle.

Slow burn continues to apply. SG today was 1.030 @71*.

I gave it a good stir, attached the brew belt and will hope for the best. Probably a day or three more till it gets around 1.000.

Side note - Last week I took the remaining FPac and poured it into a container, then placed it in the freezer when I started the kit. It is still in liquid form. Not sue what that's about, but it won't freeze for some weird reason.

The freezing point of a liquid is lowered when there is an additive, such as salt or sugar. The higher the salt or sugar content in a liquid, the lower its freezing point will be. The f-pack has a boatload of sugar.

Side note - Last week I took the remaining FPac and poured it into a container, then placed it in the freezer when I started the kit. It is still in liquid form. Not sure what that's about, but it won't freeze for some weird reason.

The wine made it to dry last night, so I dosed with kmeta, sorbate and clarifier. It's an odd tan color, probably from adding part of the Fpac to the wine in the primary. I'm hoping that it clears well.

Once it clears and I rack it next week, we'll add more of the remaining FPac to taste. I don't want it too sweet - shooting for something less than 1.000.

It's clearing pretty well. Upper half goes from hazy to clear at the top, bottom half has increasing degrees of density going southward. The color is almost cider-like at the top. Again, I'm pretty sure that's just because of the added fpac in the primary. We'll get a taste in about 10 days.

Last edited:
Back