WineXpert California Sauvignon Blanc Rosé

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First snaps of mine for color comparison. I took a sample off the top for picture purposes. It looks remarkably close to the EFESTE Old Field Rose that retails for $20. pH taken today was 3.32 so that will be dropped down to 3.2 or a little less for sure.

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Before clearing, the PH on mine was in the ~2.94 and then after f-pack addition and clearing it gave me a reading of ~3.17, SG ~1.002

Mine is bulk aging but I hope that PH changes up a bit more to the 3.3 range.

3.17 would be too acidic.

OMG! This is quite amazing. I purchased some sachet(s) of Hanna probe cleaning solution specifically for wine proteins etc as my probe has never been cleaned and was looking kinda cloudy. after reading your post @geek I came home and cleaned the probe, rinsed it with H20, calibrated it with 4.01, then re-calibrated it with 4.01 and retested the pH of the Sauv Blanc Rose and........

the pH was 3.17!

I think we also have the same pH meter!

No adjustment needed if it stays like that. I did quick taste test and like the acid but it needs a month or more in bulk more than likely so it will be a late Summer Rose at best. Also smelled like a Sauv Blanc for sure.

Ha, interesting, I may also need to clean the probe of my PH56 meter, the whole bottom line and surrounding area seems a bit stained with wine.

Interesting enough, I wonder if these meters are good to measure ph in water too?
The guy that services my water system came home yesterday per my request to check hardness and ph levels.

My ph56 meter always measures the water ph in the mid 6.x, his more 'sophisticated' chemical equipment came up to a perfect ph of low 7.x (for home water) and he said the ph is perfectly on the spot.
I retested by leaving the ph56 in a glass container and the ph starts in the low 6 and then rises slowly to the mid 6.x but never goes in the 7.x range. :ft

Racked this one and had a couple ounce sample. Feeling much better about the color now. It's nice and clear and ready for filtering/bottling next weekend. Still got that sorbate-y taste, so I don't know how much I'll go through this summer. We'll see how it's doing by the time we hit the beach in a couple months.

Have you guys done anything else at this point?
Mine is clear like a bell, thought about letting it ride longer in the carboy but maybe bottle within a week or two.

Filtered and Bottled. Nice and crisp. My initial concerns were without merit. This is nice - good color, not too sweet. Winner!

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

And the Rosé is in the bottle! Couple of shots here. First is a commercial Rosé on the right and mine on the left. Then a couple of regular bottles of mine. Hard to see the true color in these pics but they are a beautiful rosé color and spot on perfect. My final pH ended up at 3.21. 8 weeks young and already tasting pretty darn good.

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

We are just so hot at the moment that it's been hard to open a bottle of big bold red. Rosé goes well with (just about) anything plus it gets served cold. I wish our monsoon season would kick in and give us some relief from the heat.

We are just so hot at the moment that it's been hard to open a bottle of big bold red. Rosé goes well with (just about) anything plus it gets served cold. I wish our monsoon season would kick in and give us some relief from the heat.

Been similar here. We went out to eat last night and I'd been craving Pinot Noir briefly, but ended up going with Riesling. Nice today though. Mid 80's and humidity is way down.

I went ahead and snagged another one from HBS. They finally got this in a week after I got mine from FVW. Well they (HBS) sent me a 10% off coupon which when combined with their "Crazy Eddie" online price made it ~ $70 w/o shipping which was only $16 so $86 delivered. I have had so much interest in this wine off my FB page that I am meeting a commercial winery that I am friends with to meet and exchange a bottle of mine for theirs which I think is a more traditional Rose' from Syrah etc. Oh and they sell theirs for $18 retail! :sm

Ah, the power of suggestion. After seeing your post, @ibglowin , I grabbed one from the cellar and chilled it down. I'm diggin' it! Nice zing to it and that 'just barely off dry' finish. I get a little sorbate, but surprisingly little, for the age of the wine. I'll definitely enjoy a few of these between now and the end of the summer, but will try and hold the rest for Thanksgiving and (mostly) next summer.

And the Rosé is in the bottle! Couple of shots here. First is a commercial Rosé on the right and mine on the left. Then a couple of regular bottles of mine. Hard to see the true color in these pics but they are a beautiful rosé color and spot on perfect. My final pH ended up at 3.21. 8 weeks young and already tasting pretty darn good.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of light wines, but your NZ Sauvignon Blanc posts made me do one, I like it pretty well.

Now, the rose' is peaking my interest. I may have to stop reading your posts.

Latest posts

Back