Broad Run Cellars 2015 Fall Crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure if you add any tannins you need to wait 24 hrs after adding your enzymes or they can react with them.

It was about 22. The MoreWine write up on the Lallzyme EX said 6-8 though.

You don't press on your schedule, you press on the grapes schedule!

Grapes: you will comply!! :gb

Mom and Dad came by to witness the first punchdowns and get the background on what has happened so far. Dad even punched down the Syrah - quite well, I might add. He mentioned he was making pasta for dinner, but wasn't sure he had something good to go with it. He ended up leaving with an Amarone. ;)

3X per day punchdowns since Monday. All three ferments smell great and the color is frighteningly dark on all of them. I'm pretty amazed, actually - hope I don't screw these up. :)

SG Check:

Cabernet Sauvignon: 1.020
Syrah: 1.030
Petite Sirah: 1.018

Moving right along and on target for a Sunday press party. :db

It's press day! I just did the final punchdown and everything is all set. Just need to box up that peach wine that I bottled yesterday. Parents are coming over this afternoon for the fun, and hopefully, one of my sisters as well. I checked SG's yesterday. Cab and PS were both at 1.002 and the Syrah was at 1.012. I'll check SG's again while pressing.

IMG_3196.jpg

An "indoors" press. My my we do like to live dangerously don't we!

tumblr_inline_mhh30dPiq31qz4rgp.gif

I'm actually being careful here. Previous presses didn't even have the tarp!

Small, wobbly coffee table to hold the press........

1" margin of error and the whole press tips over and spills its guts on the floor......

You just might be giving Danger Dave a run for his money!

We want to see pics of the impending disaster for sure! :)

Well, that's done. It went great. My dad worked that press like he'd been making wine his whole life. He was a machine! We ended up with about 7.5 gallons of Cabernet Sauvignon, 7 gallons of Syrah, and 4 gallons of Petite Sirah. It took us about 3 hours, including cleanup. So far, all three wines are very tasty, each with a slight acid bite that I'm confident will smooth out nicely with a little age and MLF. I'll check acid levels after MLF is complete, but the SG's today were Cab: 0.996, Sryah: 1.002, PS: 0.998. The color on the Syrah is absolutely incredible, rivaling, and possibly being better than the PS. I was blown away.

We finished cleaning everything up and enjoy a little cheese while we cracked open a 2012 CC LR Red Mountain Trio. Then I cooked up some burgers for dinner, along with some sides my parents brought. It was a really good day. Bring on the Chileans!

Here's Dad, working the Cab like he means it:

The Syrah. I'm really fired up about this wine.

A closer shot of the Syrah.

I'll rack on Monday or Tuesday (probably Tues) and pitch VP41.

Jim,

That picture just reminds my dad....I lost him about 12 years ago and I'm positive he'd be willing to help with my wine making stuff if he was with us.

Nice that you have your dad to cherish those moments that will live with you forever.
Good job..!!

If you have a floor drain and a concrete floor! LOL I could never get away with it……..

Now that you mention it, the sump pump was right behind my dad in that first pic. I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. :i

That is the tiniest press I have ever seen Jim! How many times did you have to empty it and refill?

Latest posts

Back